Another recovered from algae take over

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Ring of Fire that made a comeback. They were covered with hair algae when I got them and for the longest time I would pull it, scrape it, dip it, place in pico with Emerald crab, nothing would do the algae completely. Then after giving up on it (figured them a loss) I stuck it at the bottom under a rock and forgot about it.
Algae died away and the zoas have colored back since placed in the light. I think I have a pic somewhere of before I will dig into my CDs and try to find. Been a month/longer and no sign of the algae trying to reappear.

RingofFire.jpg

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying this method on 2 of my zoa frags.
Make sure the zoas get some actinic and theyw ill be fine for weeks. The algae will die off. The actinic will not be the lighting it needs to survive.Good luck.

Supreme Reefs

Zoa Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what if i just put them in the shade? its in my frag tank so no actinics

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what if i just put them in the shade? its in my frag tank so no actinics
I have seen it grow in shaded lighting too. But worth a try. If it works great. If it doesn't the zoas should still be fine. Just be sure after a couple weeks to re-acclimate them slowly to higher lighting.
If it doesn't seem to rid the algae entirely just buy a small 9 wt actinic fixture or similar and rig it so it will hang on the side of the tank, place the zoas in a dark place with the light on them.

Supreme Reefs

Zoa Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen it grow in shaded lighting too. But worth a try. If it works great. If it doesn't the zoas should still be fine. Just be sure after a couple weeks to re-acclimate them slowly to higher lighting.
If it doesn't seem to rid the algae entirely just buy a small 9 wt actinic fixture or similar and rig it so it will hang on the side of the tank, place the zoas in a dark place with the light on them.

ill try both, maybe i can put the zoas in my sump n put the light on them since my sleeper goby will probably cover them with sand or move them if i put it in the darker spots i have in my tank. Thanks Mike

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back