What do I do in this situation?

Surskit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my zoa growing on a rock, and it began to encrust onto the neighbouring rock, but I bumped one of them while doing an algae scrub and now the colony is stretched like this. Is it safe? I don't want to stress the coral and release palytoxin, do i leave it like this, try to put the rocks together again, or try and cut the membrane thingy apart?
IMG_20240108_183234346.jpg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my zoa growing on a rock, and it began to encrust onto the neighbouring rock, but I bumped one of them while doing an algae scrub and now the colony is stretched like this. Is it safe? I don't want to stress the coral and release palytoxin, do i leave it like this, try to put the rocks together again, or try and cut the membrane thingy apart?
IMG_20240108_183234346.jpg
The "membrane" are the strands that connect the individual polyps to eachother, cutting them wouldn't be as bad as cutting the polyp directly but it will release some palytoxin, you could leave it as is but I'd try to move the rocks closer to put less stress on the connective tissue. Probably will be fine if you leave it but personally I'd move it together

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back