Another SPS ID

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is 2nd of a few pieces that I got from an "old" school reefer that have forgotten the names of this pieces. Photos below taken in AB+ during the later afternoon part of that schedule with only an orange filter on my phone.

Please let me know what you think it is and how else I can help with identification. Thank you.

MVIMG_20200523_162948.jpg
MVIMG_20200523_162922.jpg
MVIMG_20200523_163149.jpg
IMG_20200523_163223.jpg

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has some traits of A. sarmentosa, but not really confident that is what it is, traits are there though.
Note the concave radial corallites forming on the side wall of/ near the axial corallites openings.

usually sarmentosa has shorter, more stout branches though, but things like flow and light esp in captivity can yield different growth patterns.

curious to see if others have a guess thats a better fit.

OP
OP
J

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks C. Eymann. I learn so much from folks like you looking up the proper names of the corals.

The piece I got does exhibit some of the rounded nubby nature of an A. Sarmentosa. But from the pictures I have seen, Sarmentosa seems to be more packed in in terms of the clustering of the branches. This one has more of a branching behavior currently.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks C. Eymann. I learn so much from folks like you looking up the proper names of the corals.

The piece I got does exhibit some of the rounded nubby nature of an A. Sarmentosa. But from the pictures I have seen, Sarmentosa seems to be more packed in in terms of the clustering of the branches. This one has more of a branching behavior currently.

Yes, like I mentioned usually sarmentosa grows more compact, but it will branch out in lower flow environments.

Below in an example of sarmentosa grown in a more flow protected environment.

Screenshot_20200525-174655_Chrome.jpg

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C man is alway right however, and totally unrelated, I see a regal angel in the background of one picture.. you tell us how it’s done!

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C man is alway right however, and totally unrelated, I see a regal angel in the background of one picture.. you tell us how it’s done!

Eh, im definitely not always right. Mostly was just trying to explain how much environmental factors play into acropora morphology, if you showed me the picture I just posted of a thin brached sarmentosa and said this is sarmentosa 10 years ago, I would have said "no way".

Heck I could very well be wrong here? Im not a biologist? I just noticed that exclusive sarmentosa trait on OPs coral.

OP
OP
J

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it is helpful but here is a side shot that shows part of the backside structure that was not getting as much light as I had that coral placed in a 30 deg position where the pics above showed the side that was getting most light. I have since moved it more vertical and here is a partial shot of the other side that was not getting alot of light:

IMG_20200526_115730.jpg

OP
OP
J

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the Yellow Belly Regal Angel...
This is my 3rd try so I am far from an expert in keeping them. When I got this Regal Angel, he would eat one or 2 bites of the LRS Fish Frenzy or the frozen littleneck clam and swim away. He was very plump when I first got him then I noticed a flattened area where the pectoral fins are, presumably where the stomach is. I did notice that it would hunt around the live rocks for amphipods throughout the tank. I got about a thousand amphipods for him to maintain its weight.

I then Prazipro the whole tank with a full treatment according to Humblefish's primer(prazi according to tank volume, 20% water change 4-5 days and Prazi again for another 5 days). In the past, I would do one round of Prazi and be done. This time I did the 2nd dose, which I think made the difference. After the full treatment, he was eating more vigorously. Now I feed it the frozen clam with a forceps and it would take 20-30 deep bites. I "hand feed" the clam near the surface to make sure that the Regal Angel gets to eat before all the other tank mates go after the fish. Now, he eats Hikari Mega-Marine Angel cubes and PE flakes(still from forceps). It would take chunks off of them and now also go after any free-floating bits. I think I am out of the woods as I have had this fish since the end of Jan, but it is not plump.

It is all a matter of priority. I had to re-home a Blue Throat Trigger because it was out-competing the Regal for food. The Yellow Belly Regal Angel is one of my favorite fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back