New reefbreeders app

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone transition thier photons to the new app? I just got the email stating that I need to switch by June 1st. Being slightly tech challenged I'm wondering if it's a smooth transition or like starting all over?
Screenshot_20240426-170520.png

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the video they included it looks like you have to start fresh. Kind of crappy that they don’t make it so your current settings import over. I’m just sitting here wondering what I can use to toggle the reset button that they apparently included with the light but I have no idea where I placed it.

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Only took a minute or two to get it up and running for a single light.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the video they included it looks like you have to start fresh. Kind of crappy that they don’t make it so your current settings import over. I’m just sitting here wondering what I can use to toggle the reset button that they apparently included with the light but I have no idea where I placed it.
I totally forgot about that switch. I think I may have used a pocket screwdriver the one time in did do a reset.

pscheel2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you can't edit your schedule with the new app. Once you save it and if you try to edit it, it reverts to some other program and you have to start from scratch.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine uses a remote. I didn't get an email. Hoping I'm safe.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you can't edit your schedule with the new app. Once you save it and if you try to edit it, it reverts to some other program.
Well that isn't encouraging. Hopefully they get it fixed. I'll wait a few weeks. Are you on android or ios? Some apps work better on one or the other. No excuse but is what it is some times. I have an old iphone to use with mobius because I cant remove a tank and change equipment on android.

Mine uses a remote. I didn't get an email. Hoping I'm safe.
Pretty sure it's just the app controlled lights.

pscheel2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that isn't encouraging. Hopefully they get it fixed. I'll wait a few weeks. Are you on android or ios? Some apps work better on one or the other. No excuse but is what it is some times. I have an old iphone to use with mobius because I cant remove a tank and change equipment on android.

Pretty sure it's just the app controlled lights.
I have an Android. I just tried again to edit my schedule. The light intensity gets saved but the time segments reverts to some other program.

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Android here also, just attempted to switch over to the new app. I get to where I found the light on my network, then my light "status" indicator on the light itself just sits there and blinks blue over and over with no control, even though the app says connection was successful. I swear, this is the last light I buy that is only controllable via an app.

EDIT: Now, I get to the screen via the app where its saying "Your First Photon is coming online. It will be ready to use when that status light is solid GREEN. If it is currently blinking MAGENTA, please wait while updates are installing. Problem is, its now just rapid flashing blue LED endlessly.

@Reef Breeders

Last edited:

killerkukoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Android here also, just attempted to switch over to the new app. I get to where I found the light on my network, then my light "status" indicator on the light itself just sits there and blinks blue over and over with no control, even though the app says connection was successful. I swear, this is the last light I buy that is only controllable via an app.

EDIT: Now, I get to the screen via the app where its saying "Your First Photon is coming online. It will be ready to use when that status light is solid GREEN. If it is currently blinking MAGENTA, please wait while updates are installing. Problem is, its now just rapid flashing blue LED endlessly.

@Reef Breeders
i am having the exact same issue. i would not say the transistion is smooth. i second the no controller comment. i wish it had one. this is very stressfull

killerkukoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hopefully @Reef Breeders will see this and chime in with some assistance. For now I have no need to change my settings, tho I would like the option of course so I'll not change to the new app. Tech is such a wonderful thing. Glad I'm old.

i wish had came and looked before i switched. the old app was doing fine. i just had a moment and thought why not do it now before 30 days is up

pscheel2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received an email from Reefkeepers about the Android app

Android users- do not migrate yet.​

Dear Valued Customer,

The Android app is currently under maintenance. This maintenance does not affect iPhone and iPad users.

Android users:

During this brief maintenance period, do not migrate your lights using Android devices. We are currently performing maintenance on the Android app and will have it back up and running ASAP!

Important: Attempting light migration on Android during this period will result in the lights turning off and they will not function until maintenance is complete. If this happens do not be worried about your corals, they can easily withstand a week or more without light just like in nature when there is heavy clouds or storms.

If you have already attempted migration on an Android device and encountered this issue, if you or a family/friend has access to an iPhone or iPad, please use that device to complete the migration process. An iPhone or iPad is only required for the initial connection; after successfully connecting, your Android device can be used for programming the light.
This is our top priority and we are working to fix the android issue well before your corals experience any adverse effects.

We are sorry for the inconvenience this has caused anyone affected, please be assured that we are doing everything we can to resolve this as soon as possible. We value all of our customers and we always want you to have the best experience when it comes to our products.

As a token of our gratitude and an apology for the inconvenience,
all android users who were affected by this issue- please send us a screenshot within the next 7 days of your ReefBreeders app Home Screen, and the email you signed up with in the ReefBreeders app. For 2 years we will provide all premium upgrades in the ReefBreeders app for free. This includes features like Bluetooth control, Acclimation Mode, multiple languages, API Moon scheduling and more.
This means any premium updates over the next 2 years will be completely free, and you’ll own them forever.​

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold up a cotton pickin minute, did I just read that email correctly? They are going to charge for many of the features that ecotech provides with their app? Bluetooth, acclimation modes, and moon phases to name a few?? what the heck??? I was considering swapping all my radions to the meridians but not if they are going to pull this crap!!

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold up a cotton pickin minute, did I just read that email correctly? They are going to charge for many of the features that ecotech provides with their app? Bluetooth, acclimation modes, and moon phases to name a few?? what the heck??? I was considering swapping all my radions to the meridians but not if they are going to pull this crap!!
Welp, it would appear that is the case if read correctly. This will be my first and last Reefbreeders product.

I'm glad they are aware of the issue, but once again this is why I personally won't be going back to any lights without physical controls.

killerkukoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's a bit of a bummer for having micro transactions for my lights. Hopefully the schedule part will be free. I agree about not using lights with no remote in the future

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 101 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back