Another Stand Thread: Is Furniture Stand Worthy?

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, apologies for another stand thread, but moving soon, my first tank move, flipping out a little, :) realizing I need to get the tank out first, so the movers won’t hit it as they move furniture past it all day long..

I have a dresser and a night stand that APPEAR sturdy/ well made, that the tank will fit on, however I’m wondering how everyone tests the weight capacity? it’s a BC 14 so 150ish lbs? Do I just sit on the dresser for a bit with a few weights in my hands? any more reassuring way? lol I don’t want to damage the dresser if it’s a bad idea! haha

IMG_0928.jpeg IMG_0924.jpeg IMG_0925.jpeg IMG_3094.jpeg IMG_3088.jpeg

OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
…was initially hoping to get a new tank stand that would support the BC 32 I plan to upgrade to after the move… however finding a stand that’s deep enough has been a challenge, even if i look for a 75G stand, since I want the extra room on the sides and weight capacity… so now looking at what I can use in the meantime! :) … and unfortunately can’t build one myself at the moment… still figuring out who’s going to come over and lift this tank :rolleyes: ah moving is FUN! haha

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is 14g?

I have my 15g on my nightstand with no issue. It is real wood, so its very sturdy.

Is it possible you could sit on your dresser, to make sure that it's still sturdy with weight on it?

OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is 14g?

I have my 15g on my nightstand with no issue. It is real wood, so its very sturdy.

Is it possible you could sit on your dresser, to make sure that it's still sturdy with weight on it?

that’s reassuring, thank you! i know the previous owner had it on a little Ikea shelf lol so i’m sure i’m just being paranoid… but will definitely sit on my night stand for a bit out of an abundance of caution haha

sounds like the hubby might be willing to have it on the kitchen island again in the new place, as long as it’s not in the middle/ dominating the entire space as it currently is lol … I never sorted out the wiring behind the tank & take over the front half of the island when i do water changes haha my bad!

OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve put heavier tanks on way jankier. You’re only talking about ~130lbs.
Thanks! Haha it’s my first tank (and first tank move!) so definitely being paranoid- looks sturdy to me with the metal welded supports etc.. i guess i have to do the “sit test” LOL if i want to be sure haha i’ve got 130 covered for sure!

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be plenty sturdy as a stand for a 14 gal, but in my experience saltwater aquariums destroy furniture with the inevitable salt creep/spills. Usually take the finish off. If you don't want to damage the dresser, I would look for an aquarium stand or something you don't care about.

Robert Ranciato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can put a 14 gallon even the 29 gallon on a composite night stand. It will be fine if it's no the cheapest crap on the market. You can always add a few 2×4 and prop it up from the inside. Measure and cut right and you don't even need screws.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back