need new tank stand

Noodles_Jefferson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey gang! So I noticed my wooden tank stand is getting a bit deteriorated. The finish has worn off where water has repeatedly gotten on the surface and now you see that the particle board underneath is starting to chip away. Definitely need a new stand. I'm looking at one but it's a bit shorter than my current stand. What is the best method of moving a tank from one stand to another? I figured I would drain out a good amount of the water to make it lighter, then push it onto the new stand. There will be about an inch drop as it goes onto the new stand? Any potential issue there where the tank bottom is not fully supported as it moves onto the new stand? I would really hate to mess with the rocks and coral. everything is in the right place. i'm hoping the method i described will work. Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey gang! So I noticed my wooden tank stand is getting a bit deteriorated. The finish has worn off where water has repeatedly gotten on the surface and now you see that the particle board underneath is starting to chip away. Definitely need a new stand. I'm looking at one but it's a bit shorter than my current stand. What is the best method of moving a tank from one stand to another? I figured I would drain out a good amount of the water to make it lighter, then push it onto the new stand. There will be about an inch drop as it goes onto the new stand? Any potential issue there where the tank bottom is not fully supported as it moves onto the new stand? I would really hate to mess with the rocks and coral. everything is in the right place. i'm hoping the method i described will work. Any pointers are greatly appreciated.
How big is the aquarium?

OP
OP
N

Noodles_Jefferson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the aquarium?
Thanks, it is a 29 gallon tank. I did some research since posting this question so i think i have a game plan but definitely open to any advice someone who has already done this can provide. I'm going to syphon out most of the water into plastic bins while putting the rocks and coral into the bins. I may put a small powerhead into the bin with the corals. They won't be in there that long, i'll have the new stand already set up. I'll leave just enough water to cover the substrate and any fish i'm not able to scoop out into a bin. i don't want to stress them out too much by chasing them around with a net. Now it should be light enough to move it to the new stand. once it's in place, I'll put the rocks back in with the water from that bin, then the corals/fish with the remaining water. Also plan to keep the filter media in water during this process. i think with that and keeping my substrate and the original water, I should be able to keep most if not all of my beneficial bacteria as well as not having drastic changes to the tank chemistry (alk, calcium, mag). Thoughts?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, it is a 29 gallon tank. I did some research since posting this question so i think i have a game plan but definitely open to any advice someone who has already done this can provide. I'm going to syphon out most of the water into plastic bins while putting the rocks and coral into the bins. I may put a small powerhead into the bin with the corals. They won't be in there that long, i'll have the new stand already set up. I'll leave just enough water to cover the substrate and any fish i'm not able to scoop out into a bin. i don't want to stress them out too much by chasing them around with a net. Now it should be light enough to move it to the new stand. once it's in place, I'll put the rocks back in with the water from that bin, then the corals/fish with the remaining water. Also plan to keep the filter media in water during this process. i think with that and keeping my substrate and the original water, I should be able to keep most if not all of my beneficial bacteria as well as not having drastic changes to the tank chemistry (alk, calcium, mag). Thoughts?
Will you have a helper for moving the aquarium, a just in case insurance policy?

OP
OP
N

Noodles_Jefferson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At that size I would just remove 80% of the water, have someone help me and just transfer the tank to the new stand, slowly.

Then put the water back in.
I think im going to have to take the corals and rock out because it's only a 29 gallon. Tank height is 18 " and if I remove that much water (which I plan to do anyway, maybe more so it's just above the substrate) the water line would be below the rock and corals.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back