Water damaged stand: emergency or not?

Dr. Jeffles

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 6, 2017
Messages
33
Reaction score
54
Location
Berkeley, CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a 90 gallon that's probably about 10 years old now. Budget cube tank and what appears to be a custom stand of 1 inch plywood.

I noticed about a week ago that the front right bottom edge is starting to split from water damage (inside pic attached, looks fine). I'd like to get your thoughts on how bad this is and the timeframe to move everyone out to a new tank...

Thanks in advance.

20240217_135436.jpg


20240217_135507.jpg
20240217_135427.jpg
 
I would advise getting a new stand if I were you. Usually if there is water damage like that it can get worse over time. Others with more knowledge can chime in though!
 
Agreed - The plywood has begun to separate from water intrusion over the years (always clean up even little spills!). While not neccessarily urgent, I would look to upgrade the stand very soon.
 
Those types of stands are typically made with plywood and then a wood veneer over the ply to dress it up. Looks like the veneer that is separating. So not an emergency but prob best to see about a new stand as aesthetically it will only get worse.
 
Tank look pretty big for that stand. Over hanging corners like that make me nervous and I'm ussualy reckless. But obviously it's safe if it's been up 10 years. I vote new stand since the delamination is probably only going to get worse.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new