Another story of palytoxin poisoning, recent experience

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contemplated even posting this because hindsight it could had been avoided, be gentle because I am still very sick. Yesterday after mowing the lawn I was looking at my back porch thinking yeah those paly plugs have been out here a month now in the hot southern sun, they are done for and i need to clean them up and use those plugs. I put them in a vinegar mix by my laundry room, left for a few hours since it was Mother's day Sunday. My GF was three rooms away working and the rest of use were just around the house here and there. This house is two story, high ceilings. Roughly 6 hours later after eating I did not feel well and thought my reflux has never been this bad so I laid down in the bed, one room away from those palys in a bucket. After waking up it was even worse, I took two more gaviscon thinking what the heck, my chest now hurts. I started cleaning the tank glass, never finished as I noticed people were all starting to cough in the house. I mention to the GF that my reflux is kicking my butt and she said she had a strange taste in her mouth and did not feel well. She mentioned she thought that vinegar was an issue, I had a moment where I am like OMG, what have I done. I ran back into the house since we were on the porch and looked in the bucket and those palys were rehydrated, they even looked like palys but clear. While outside the house I was not feeling better so after thinking about it and not wanting to go to the hospital, I thought it could be a mistake not going just then. An ambulance ride would be worse.

On the ride up my symptoms were a cough, pain in the chest, shaking weak arms, slight confusion, elevated heart rate. During triage and an explanation, we got plenty of looks like we were aliens. I explained to the gentleman the best I could while he called poison control, even they were like what? Seriously? They took me for an X-Ray and that girl was like what? Then they took me for an EKG, they were like huh? I was given zofram(sp), dilaudid and a steroid. Then shortly after I was rushed for a CT, followed by blood draw. The doctor had no clue but was reading very quickly and seemed to be taking it was more serious after he read. Hours of waiting started in on uncontrollable shaking like I was in a meat locker, it came in waves but at the peak I had the entire bed shaking, I took videos of that. The doctor listened to my lungs many times and said I was the worst because of the wheezing noise in my lungs. At that point I did not care because the dilaudid was in full swing. My son was next to me, he started puking in the sink and filled it up to the point it was clogged. GF was in the next room with the younger son, he also threw up.

So the GF and I were texting back and forth so I knew there symptoms were getting worse and we bit the bullet and admitted all of us, we can make money to pay copays, replacing people is hard. I think we were in the emergency rooms for maybe 5-6 hours but the day is still foggy to me, I am still making typing errors not still not even close to myself. This morning my throat is still sore, my head is still hurting but my heart rate is down from a sitting 100 of last night to 80-90 depending on the minute, still way too high for my body. When we got back home last night I expected the cat to be fine, I had opened the windows and I thought cats were more tolerant of things like this, but I was very wrong. I think long term she will be fine but currently she does not look good. We have been talking with vets this morning to see what we can do for her.

EDIT: About my medical history, I am 5' 11" and thin, exercise daily. No high blood pressure, no cholesterol and mainly a vegetarian diet. I do not have seasonal allergies and have a fairly clear medical history.

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes. Hope everyone starts to feel better soon and the cat too!

I know fragging purple deaths made me cough and numbness. Needless to say… I don’t have purple deaths anymore. Not all zoas or palys have toxin in them or very little amounts. So I now try to avoid the ones that have a lot. I do have some still I need to remove that look like toxic ones. I bought gloves and will get a N95. I am not looking forward to removing them.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes. Hope everyone starts to feel better soon and the cat too!

I know fragging purple deaths made me cough and numbness. Needless to say… I don’t have purple deaths anymore. Not all zoas or palys have toxin in them or very little amounts. So I now try to avoid the ones that have a lot. I do have some still I need to remove that look like toxic ones. I bought gloves and will get a N95. I am not looking forward to removing them.

Coworkers are sending me text saying I need to get rid of my tank, I am crazy to keep it after this. I lol'ed at this.

I have purple monsters (sp) ? Or Deaths you know these things go under different names.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I am so sorry to hear of your unfortunate incident. I would've never thought a thing about keeping a frag plug from palys. I think it’s important for hobbyists to post things like this when they happen so that others can learn from your mistake. I hope everyone makes a full recovery soon.

I don’t see this as a reason to take your tank down. It was a mistake that I am sure won’t be repeated.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I am so sorry to hear of your unfortunate incident. I would've never thought a thing about keeping a frag plug from palys. I think it’s important for hobbyists to post things like this when they happen so that others can learn from your mistake. I hope everyone makes a full recovery soon.

I don’t see this as a reason to take your tank down. It was a mistake that I am sure won’t be repeated.

Exactly. What I had read back when I got my tank and researching paly poison was an incident where someone brought a large rock to the top of the water and was leaning over the tank, likely ticked them off. I remember another were someone sawed through a rock and through palys (yes hindsight for him). Then your cases were people got paly juice in an open wound. I could not find anything were someone rehydrated dried paly plugs (maybe 4-5) and having an entire house get sick.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I felt better this morning for about an hour and took a turn for the worse, the chills and shaking came back for several hours. I think I was worthless for about 8 hours today, very unlike me since I exercise a lot and stay busy. Just now I am starting to get an appetite back, the rest of the family has mixed symptoms, some are doing better than others.

Blumy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stripped my tank bare, new live rock and went SPS only after melting my cornea off from those horrible things. Yes, goggles and gloves. Washed afterwards too. Still somehow got in my eye. Had to get an emergency cornea transplant can see but legally blind in it now.

2B22A0C8-6FBB-4F14-8525-E380632A8D2A.jpeg

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stripped my tank bare, new live rock and went SPS only after melting my cornea off from those horrible things. Yes, goggles and gloves. Washed afterwards too. Still somehow got in my eye. Had to get an emergency cornea transplant can see but legally blind in it now.

2B22A0C8-6FBB-4F14-8525-E380632A8D2A.jpeg

Can you please elaborate some? When did this happen?

Blumy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please elaborate some? When did this happen?
2 years ago. They took over and I was culling them back like I had done before. Like I said, had gloves on a goggles as I was well aware of the danger. Ungloved, removed goggles, washed hands. Must have missed a spot and at some point, rubbed my eye. Woke up at midnight like my eye was on fire. Went to ER, they flushed my eye and gave me steroid drops. Pain was unbearable for 3 days straight. On the 3rd day, the colored part of my eye turned white and bloody tears were coming out. Back to eye doc. Cornea gone, burned a hole into my inner eye. The bloody tears were inner eye fluid. Rush to hospital and got a transplant that night. Told me if the toxin would have made it to my optic nerve, instant death. Dodged a bullet and said never again. Now they are like algae to me, a pest. Paid to have someone strip the tank bare and started over SPS dominant.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the toxin break down after some time? Or how do they stop it once you’ve inhaled/gotten in eye/etc? Just curious after reading through

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the toxin break down after some time? Or how do they stop it once you’ve inhaled/gotten in eye/etc? Just curious after reading through

It must not because the frag plugs I had out this weekend were baking in Alabama sun for a month, not to mention they would occasionally get rained on. The molecule is very complex and obviously still dangerous when the powder is rehydrated. Second day here, still doing breathing treatments. GF has a 103 fever, kids have been throwing up all day. I am a bit better, just have a headache now.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is insane. Thanks for sharing your story and best wishes on a speedy recovery. I dont think any of our ER docs would know what to do with a chief complaint of palytoxin poisoning either, outside of symptomatic cares that you were provided and tincture of time. This certainly isn't a toxin we're taught in medical school. Unreal. Dangerous little corals.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is insane. Thanks for sharing your story and best wishes on a speedy recovery. I dont think any of our ER docs would know what to do with a chief complaint of palytoxin poisoning either, outside of symptomatic cares that you were provided and tincture of time. This certainly isn't a toxin we're taught in medical school. Unreal. Dangerous little corals.

Trust me, we got some looks. The doctor was having to educate himself through the night, he was still reading when we left.

Mikosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) What kind of palys did you have on those plugs and 2) what happened to them that caused you to take them off the plugs and air dry the plugs

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back