Another "are these toxic palys or not?" post

Texx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
So I've tried to do as much research as possible but I'm still unsure if these are the toxic ones or not. They look nice and haven't become a problem (yet), so I might keep them either way. And I already take caution when I'm working on the tank, but I'd like to know for sure just in case I realize something after the fact, like maybe I didn't notice a cut on my hand until after I've already had my hand in the tank or something like that. Thanks for looking

IMG_8544 copy.jpg

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't handle outside of the tank without proper precautions (eye, gloves) and wash hands well after being in the tank. You'll be fine.

It's difficult to say as with anything whether an individual will have a reaction whereas another may not. Be smart and take as many precautions as you deem necessary.

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing to do is simply assume that ANY Zoa or Paly MIGHT contain palytoxin and take all basic precautions when handling or fragging.

Even if they don't produce it directly, they can still pick it up, so it's always a case of better safe than sorry.

Relying on a random dudebro from a forum telling you, "Nah, bruh, those are perfectly safe" is asking for trouble.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only one way to know for sure Lick em!

No dont do that really. Just use caution when dealing with pretty much anything in your reef tank.

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the day we called them nuclear green palys. They were invasive and would sting other corals and even fish, if I remember correctly.

Yes, palytoxin poisoning is a real thing, and you need to use caution. Here's an article from the National Institute of Health on an incident in Anchorge, AK:

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
That is an actual paly and if handled improperly it can cause harm.
  1. Don't try to dissolve them with vinegar/acid
  2. Don't try to manually remove them with a grinder
  3. Don't try to boil them off the rock.
Otherwise they pose no risk to you, your aquarium inhabitants, or your house hold during the course of regular aquarium activities.

OP
OP
T

Texx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, everyone!

Back in the day we called them nuclear green palys. They were invasive and would sting other corals and even fish, if I remember correctly.

Yes, palytoxin poisoning is a real thing, and you need to use caution. Here's an article from the National Institute of Health on an incident in Anchorge, AK:
Great article, thanks for the link!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back