Palytoxin poisoning...

Myinvert3dlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have some known toxic Polyzoas that have proliferated over 4
5 years from 1 to dozens. They've live through crashes and so much... I have a two year old and 5 month old twins...

Anywho they're amazing still and my cube is thriving while my 100.3WB is still battling dinos. I recently quit breastfeeding and had some drinks tonight just hanging out watching Max.

Everyone was in bed and been trying to relocate healthy corals to my 20G cube to see if I can keep it stabilized and I moved my palys in a 5g bucket on liverock with water that wasn't super hot but maybe 7-10 degree warmer (salt water) than tank temp. Yea yea not great. But then moving them like a drunk I grabbed the rock by the palys with my bare hand. And instantly regretted it. They were already sliming before. This was an hour ago. Immediately washed but like from skin Clcontact under water alone am I in trouble? Feel okay

For reference I now have sharpnosed puffers who ate my zoanthids but won't eat my polys. Attached pics are from 2 years ago. More now.

Screenshot_20230821_003432_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230821_003518_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230821_005409_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230821_005332_Gallery.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You hand any cuts on the exposed skin? You should be ok, palytoxin is way worse when it can get to your bloodstream. Pay attention to your breathing and how you feel, don't wait if you feel off to seek help.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with both Lacey 29 and red beard . Monitor yourself and let others aware of your possible paly poisoning so that they too can keep a eye on you as well as know what the cause was if something should happen to where you would need treatment .also if they are sliming it wouldn’t hurt to maybe do a partial water change , run carbon , and open a window to freshen up the air in your house so that no one gets sick from breathing it in .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Myinvert3dlife

Myinvert3dlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - I'm fine. I washed and soaked in ice water like right when it happened to vasoconstrict and prevent as much absorption as possible. Not even a spot on my hand. Saw someone else's horror story with their hand sores and kids eye and freaked me out a little. Felt a little warm and was slightly red last night but totally fine this morning.

Thanks for the reassurance!

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me personally, I've done that several times, and due to dry skin I've always got cracks in my skin. I treat it like a bee sting, some just get a little red around the would but others will die. For me it gets red looking where I have cracked skin but that is about it. I always take a couple of Benadryl and I'm fine in an hour or so. My wife is allergic to everything and I've never worried about her. As long as you don't boil the water then it isn't going airborne and as far as I know, she's never been drunk enough to drink water from my tank!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back