another thing that eats zoas from inside now

EDGRAY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers just wanted to share this i already submitted to zoaid.com but well....

2months ago i so the insides of my LUNAR ECLIPSE coming out like something was making the insides coming out of the zoas so i was like weird nudie's or something check nothing so i inspected couldnt see nothing then i so something coming out so i was like maybe a kind of POD or mysis or something but nothing colony never got better so i did the IODINE FRESHWATER DIP and guess what this little creature came out the size is really tiny you can see a hair in one or two in the pic it look like a ISOPOD or something withought legs but anyways you'll see pics so anyways i let it go then 2 months later (NOW) i so my red zoas (really nice by the way) to have the same problem but also sow a asterina irritating them so i was ok dip (as always do when zoas dont open for 2 days plus i recommend doing it!) so guess what does things again so i was thats it i should take pics and warn my zoaholics friends just in case they dont know what is happening and something to look forward :lol: J/K a really nightmare cause you can hardly see him they are really really tiney.... pics look so so but i did my best with my 105mm micro lense...

Ok, guys you warned and did anyone had seen or kill this thing before???? or do u reconize them do they have a name??

i have seen AMPHIPODS,COPEPODS,ISOPODS AND ETC ETC... and non of them looks like this thing and well is almost close to the size of a copepod maybe double the size but still really small...

EDDY

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0002-1.jpg

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like isopods, but I hadn;t thought of issues with corals. They typically attach to fish and suck them dry. I did have an isopod come off in treating some new arrivals and thought it was strange. I intended on setting up a misc. 5.5 gallon tank for all the odd little critters that come off, but don't die in treatment, but haven't gotten around to it. The isopod sat in the treatment water overnight and died...

Raptor

Angel Of Death
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like fish lice, I wonder if a dip of saltwater and a product by jungle's anchors away will kill them DEAD.
Well all molting creatures it will kill.
If its only eating zoa's i would dip and place all zoa's in a clean tank and let the main tank fallow.
Another good plus to have a sixline and a coris wrasse.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i actually found one last night while inspecting some zoas, it had attached to the polyps and was sucking the insides out.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow.. I'm gonna see if I can spot any of these buggers tonight.. I hope I don't..

Thanks
Marvin

Raptor

Angel Of Death
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should post this up for dr ron. Maybe he couls shed some light. Or eric borneman.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back