Another tunze 3155 ato question

Tophers Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.

First time with an Ato on a tank and after lots of research I went with a tunze 3155 for our new 425xl.

Is it normal for it to cycle on every few minutes or so. I understand it's refilling evaporation but it seems excessive. But seeing as it's my first, this could be normal.

Hoping someone with more experience could weigh in.

Thanks

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with that specific ATO but generally speaking I don't think it's normal for them to kick on that often. How long have you had it running, because if it's keeping your water levels at the proper and a consistent level then it is working correctly.

OP
OP
Tophers Reef

Tophers Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is about a month wet.

Levels are consistent just seems like it's cycling often. I've checked salinity randomly and it's stays consistent at 1.026.
I'm not familiar with that specific ATO but generally speaking I don't think it's normal for them to kick on that often. How long have you had it running, because if it's keeping your water levels at the proper and a consistent level then it is working correctly.

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a dial in the box to add more or less at a time. I think it says “nano” for the small size and then dials up. On my 120, it turns on maybe 4x per day.

OP
OP
Tophers Reef

Tophers Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a dial in the box to add more or less at a time. I think it says “nano” for the small size and then dials up. On my 120, it turns on maybe 4x per day.
This is an rsr 425xl so slightly less water volume then your 120. If you're is only going off 4 times daily then something isn't right with mine lol.

Thanks

Dolphis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should definitely not be cycling on/off that often.

I would try gently cleaning the eye sensor and double checking all the connections.

If you genuinely have that much evaporion happening, I would look into that too. Perhaps a small leak has developed somewhere?
Is your water temperature ok? Perhaps a malfunctioning heater is causing more evaporation.

How were you handling evaporation before? Were you just eyeballing adding water?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's supposed to cycle frequently, thats what keep your salinity normal. Water evaporates all day every day, the ATO kicks on as soon as the eye is not under water.

As long as your sump/display is stayong at the same level, and your salinity isn't changi8ng, then it's working as it should.

At the very least, I might unscrew the cover(just 4 phillips head screws) and make sure the knob in the box is set for MAX not NANO. While your in there, you can move the jumper to stop that annoyingly long beep when it first starts up.

Mine kicks on about 10 to 15 times a day, never adding more then a quart at a time on my 80G open top cube. I use about 8G week in evap.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn’t come on every few minutes really, but if your getting fluctuations in the sump level for whatever reason it could be just doing it’s job.

Just give the sensor head a wipe, because if you get any micro bubbles on the sensor that can cause issues.

I would think the standard factory settings should be ok for the 425 to be honest

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice with mine that unless I have the pump laying sideways in the top off water, it will cycle off and on several times. I believe that when the pump is upright, it is somehow losing the siphon and has to re-prime each cycle. I have tried replacing the pump and tubing, but it makes no difference.

OP
OP
Tophers Reef

Tophers Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked that the flow isn't turbulence where you have the optic located?

Just an idea.
It's in the return section with little to no movement. I cleaned the eye as suggested above and cycled the power to the control and it's not going off nearly as often now. Maybe a glitch of sorts?

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and ideas. Sorry it took so long to update.

Topher

OP
OP
Tophers Reef

Tophers Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's supposed to cycle frequently, thats what keep your salinity normal. Water evaporates all day every day, the ATO kicks on as soon as the eye is not under water.

As long as your sump/display is stayong at the same level, and your salinity isn't changi8ng, then it's working as it should.

At the very least, I might unscrew the cover(just 4 phillips head screws) and make sure the knob in the box is set for MAX not NANO. While your in there, you can move the jumper to stop that annoyingly long beep when it first starts up.

Mine kicks on about 10 to 15 times a day, never adding more then a quart at a time on my 80G open top cube. I use about 8G week in evap.
Salinity is constant... Water levels as well. As I mentioned above, I cleaned the eye and cycled the power and it seems to have corrected.

Topher

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 67 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back