Another water changes questions

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would you rather do 10-15% weekly or 25-30% bi weekly? (On a normal circumstance, nothing is dying or showing signs of stress/receding...etc)

Also, curious if anyone shower before putting their hands in the tank. I normally would take a hot shower without soap unless I had sunscreen, mosquito spray or lotion on.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s totally up to what works best for you. either option is beneficial. i think a lot of people wash their hands first. or wear long gloves or don’t put them in at all and use a long grabber tool. btw, this doesn’t sound like an emergency lol

Last edited:

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol non emergency but changes are different for everyone I've always done 10 percent a week it works so why change and if you have something that works don't fix it the only benefit of longer intervals I see is less disruption in the tank.
I never put bare arms in tank as I work with lots of nasty stuff at work it's not worth the risk so use gloves and a grabber .

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10% bi weekly.
I wash my hands before I do anything tank related, and my hands only go in the tank when placing corals.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 90g aquarium is a year old now and in full reef swing.

Switched from weekly 10% water change to biweekly 10% water change with no parameters changes or other noticeable differences.

Try to minimize putting bare rinsed hand or glove in aquarium.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a 12% water change in my 300G DT and 20% in my daughter's 20G cube weekly. The latter has no skimmer. I put my washed hands/arms in the tank only when absolutely needed because I have a yellow tailed damsel that thinks he's a piranha.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would you rather do 10-15% weekly or 25-30% bi weekly? (On a normal circumstance, nothing is dying or showing signs of stress/receding...etc)

Also, curious if anyone shower before putting their hands in the tank. I normally would take a hot shower without soap unless I had sunscreen, mosquito spray or lotion on.
I do about 20% per week and clean sand bed and remove detritus from sump. Really glad I bought the Sicce Zero maintenance pump. Really good at removing stuff from sump. I just rinse my arm in regular foucet water and dry with a paper towel.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol non emergency but changes are different for everyone I've always done 10 percent a week it works so why change and if you have something that works don't fix it the only benefit of longer intervals I see is less disruption in the tank.
I never put bare arms in tank as I work with lots of nasty stuff at work it's not worth the risk so use gloves and a grabber .
Speaking of that “emergency” and it was mandatory prefix I had to select. If not where’s the most appropriate to post this kind of top lol

Back