Another Waterbox

BoralBandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,

After successfully keeping my first tank running for over a year I've gotten another waterbox and for this one the goal will be to try out different equipment(thinking about getting a Radion XR 15 instead of a Prime HD 16) as well as just keeping one really nice anemone and maybe 1-2 fish max, the other attached picture is sort of what im going for.

Any tips/advice is welcome!

anemone.jpg IMG-8589.jpg anemone salt water.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BoralBandit

BoralBandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an interesting idea. Are you going to add a substrate or leave it bare bottom?
we're thinking about just black sand, once the sand is in there i'm going to flip the rock so that the flat side is up and hopefully the anemone decides to live somewhere in that general vicinity lol, the picture below is what I saw at my LFS

Attachments

• IMG-8589.jpg
    IMG-8589.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 59

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with it. For what it is worth, I just recently watched a video of someone who regretted the black sand after, and I think I heard it can be ferrous, meaning it might stick to your glass cleaner and scratch the glass.

Your example pics look nice, just repeating some stuff fresh in my memory. That tank looks huge, how big is it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
BoralBandit

BoralBandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with it. For what it is worth, I just rear 9r watched a video of so eone who regretted the black sand after, and I think I heard it can be ferrous, meaning it might stick to your glass cleaner and scratch the glass.

Your example pics look nice, just repeating some stuff fresh in my memory. That tank looks huge, how big is it?
Actually that's a really good point, I hadn't thought about that, with my other tank im super paranoid about sand on the glass cleaner but that has white sand so I can always spot it. definitely something i'll have to keep in mind.

it's only a 20 Gallon the angle makes it look a lot bigger than it is.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a spiffy Build Thread Contributor Badge, go to your account and under account details and copy and paste a link to your build thread in the R2R Tank Thread Link... The badge will show on your posts.

OP
OP
BoralBandit

BoralBandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a spiffy Build Thread Contributor Badge, go to your account and under account details and copy and paste a link to your build thread in the R2R Tank Thread Link... The badge will show on your posts.
oh that's awesome! thanks... how did you add the URLs to your signature? I tried doing it to mine and it would just show the html code on the signature lol

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually that's a really good point, I hadn't thought about that, with my other tank im super paranoid about sand on the glass cleaner but that has white sand so I can always spot it. definitely something i'll have to keep in mind.

it's only a 20 Gallon the angle makes it look a lot bigger than it is.
It was the siphon, I thought the siphon was a lot bigger then I guess it actually is.

OP
OP
BoralBandit

BoralBandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Fellow Reefers! it's been a while! for the full story on where we've been please see The Original WaterBox Build Thread

so when we fist decided to build an anemone only tank I did not realize how hard it would be to choose a nem that we would want to see every day.

The tank has been running since September of 2021 originally we bought a blue spotted puffer and then added one small clownfish we got him because he literally looks like a clown, within a minute of putting him in the tank, the puffer decided he hated him and wanted to end his life, we took the puffer out and placed him in one of those plastic containers that suction to the tank, we then bought a larger clown and let him acclimate to the tank and his new tiny clown friend, with the puffer still watching them and still trying to nip, after about two weeks the puffer seemed way more chilled so we decided to try introducing him again, success! the fish have been coexisting beautifully ever since, the puffer even sleeps next to the clowns!

we were ready for a nem, but alas life got in the way and we honestly just didn't get around to it, we narrowed it down to either a Colorado or a Chicago Sunburst but with the prices of either one and the lack of time we kept putting it off. UNTIL LAST NIGHT!

we decided to go to a new fish store about 40 minutes away and it honestly is one of the best fish stores i've ever seen, healthy corals all over, everything from rare torches to super rare zoas and there in a plastic bucket over some gonis it was, the most beautiful looking Colorado sunburst we had ever seen... naturally we did the responsible thing and bought it. so far its doing amazing and the fish love it

the next upgrade for the tank is going to be going from a prime 16 hd to an xr15 like the main reef tank.

Attachments

• IMG_3227.jpg
    IMG_3227.jpg
    737.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0326.JPEG
    IMG_0326.JPEG
    145.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0323.JPEG
    IMG_0323.JPEG
    182.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0317.JPEG
    IMG_0317.JPEG
    133.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0313.JPEG
    IMG_0313.JPEG
    154.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0310.JPEG
    IMG_0310.JPEG
    182.5 KB · Views: 35

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Fellow Reefers! it's been a while! for the full story on where we've been please see The Original WaterBox Build Thread

so when we fist decided to build an anemone only tank I did not realize how hard it would be to choose a nem that we would want to see every day.

The tank has been running since September of 2021 originally we bought a blue spotted puffer and then added one small clownfish we got him because he literally looks like a clown, within a minute of putting him in the tank, the puffer decided he hated him and wanted to end his life, we took the puffer out and placed him in one of those plastic containers that suction to the tank, we then bought a larger clown and let him acclimate to the tank and his new tiny clown friend, with the puffer still watching them and still trying to nip, after about two weeks the puffer seemed way more chilled so we decided to try introducing him again, success! the fish have been coexisting beautifully ever since, the puffer even sleeps next to the clowns!

we were ready for a nem, but alas life got in the way and we honestly just didn't get around to it, we narrowed it down to either a Colorado or a Chicago Sunburst but with the prices of either one and the lack of time we kept putting it off. UNTIL LAST NIGHT!

we decided to go to a new fish store about 40 minutes away and it honestly is one of the best fish stores i've ever seen, healthy corals all over, everything from rare torches to super rare zoas and there in a plastic bucket over some gonis it was, the most beautiful looking Colorado sunburst we had ever seen... naturally we did the responsible thing and bought it. so far its doing amazing and the fish love it

the next upgrade for the tank is going to be going from a prime 16 hd to an xr15 like the main reef tank.
That makes me want to try a other nem, looks super happy.

OP
OP
BoralBandit

BoralBandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes me want to try a other nem, looks super happy.
honestly i'm a fan but only in their own tank, I have a rainbow in my reef tank and its super annoying, I love it but every once in a while its like "I hate this spot" and starts walking and bothering everything.. Nem only tanks are way less stressful

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back