First saltwater / Waterbox 20 build

zuggrug

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 3, 2026
Messages
5
Reaction score
6
Location
Colorado
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured since I’ve spent so much time researching & looking at builds here it was my turn to contribute now that I’ve finally pulled the trigger!

I’ve had high tech freshwater tanks for about 3 years now & it’s finally time to take the leap into salt. I ordered a Waterbox 20G cube six weeks ago & now that it & almost all the equipment is here I’m planning to fill it up this weekend!

Attached a picture of the tank as it looks & a picture of my impressive (for me) cord management underneath.

Current Equipment List:
Waterbox 20
Ai Prime 16
Nero 3 Wavemaker
Inkbird for temperature control
Tunze Nano for the ATO

Stoked to share more as I build it! Never actually kept a good record of any of my tanks until now!

IMG_0566.jpeg IMG_0570.jpeg
 
Congratulations on starting your Build Thread... All top-notch gear you have assembled there. Like my Italian Grandfather used to say, "Use it in good health!"
 
Following along!
 
Update time:

Tank is wet,

Picked up some rock from the LFS on Saturday & got to work. Ultimately not full blown live rock but it’s what they had & still better than completely dry.

Had a bit of a time on Saturday while scaping. AquaStik epoxy does not work as well as I assumed it would so everything is instead stacked in a nice stable position. But If anyone has any suggestions for something I could use to attach it all while it’s in the tank I would love to hear it!

Also had to drain & relevel the tank after I got it all filled up which was annoying but what can you do.

This is how the scape is looking currently. It’s being viewed from two sides so I didn’t want to go for a full blown cove design. It sits in this weird little spot in our apartment where I can see the front panel from my desk & the side panel from the living room/bar area.

20260608_112459_355D4156-F2F7-4CD1-BC70-2D974BC208F3.png


20260608_112504_44CB0197-F904-443F-AF10-A2FE4F9FB148.png
 
I also upgraded the filter sock to a media chamber from printed reef so I can run filter floss & carbon in chamber one + it has room for anything else I may want to run for filtration in the future.
20260608_114345_171A139B-227E-4955-94AA-F5B56BB1FC9D.png
 
The tank finally has its first inhabitants. Everything is all cycled & I got some Trochus snails & Hermit crabs to start the bioload & clean the algae up for few weeks before I get my first fish
20260710_155916_C290E6F7-03A1-45F3-A007-6120FDE53060.png


20260710_155916_B3966306-2376-47FC-BFA1-3E0919227679.png
 
First real things finally happening in the tank! Picked up a few frags while my LFS was having a good sale. Some zoas, a really nice looking mushroom & a couple gorgonians that I’m adding to the back of the tank so they can get nice & tall.
20260805_194620_0039794D-BBD5-46C4-871B-EB5AF485E017.png


20260805_194622_E2A9C109-B23F-41AE-B7F6-3418197F6B90.png


20260805_194625_6145A3E9-E3FE-49CD-9E0C-13EE4746C5F1.png

I also added the first fish! Picked up a
Randalli goby & a tiger pistol shrimp to go with! It took a few days for them to actually find each other but they’ve settled down in the PERFECT spot where I can see them on the two viewing sides of the tank.
20260805_195249_9AACBACF-8CB5-4D91-976B-96EB7477FFB0.png
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new