Another Wrasse question...

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my tank is clear of all disease (maybe September) I want to purchase a few wrasses. There are quite a few threads about compatibility between Wrasse species but I can’t find a thread about Wrasse compatibility with shrimp. Currently I have a six line Wrasse that is a model citizen. He lives with a pistol/goby pair, a cleaner shrimp, a peppermint shrimp, and a pair of teeny tiny bumblebee shrimp.

I’m not concerned about the pistol shrimp and the cleaner shrimp is nearly 2.5 inches long. The peppermint shrimp I’m not sure about. I do worry abt the bumblebee shrimp. The only good thing is that they can climb in the tiniest little holes.

Opinions or experience please....

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy wrasse won’t bother shrimp. Some, like melanurus or dragon wrasses can cause a problem.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue isn’t going to be finding wrasses to be compatible with your shrimps. As mentioned flashers and many of the smaller fairies are good examples. The issue I believe probably is going to be the aggressiveness of the six line....especially as it matures. ...Just my experience with them.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have a six line Wrasse that is a model citizen.

Famous last words. As mentioned in the post above they are known for simply snapping one day and going rogue. I definitely wouldn't add any other wrasses to a tank with an established 6 line, so if you want more wrasses it will have to go. Fairy Wrasses and Flasher Wrasses should be fine with your shrimp.

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the words of wisdom. Ahhhh... the Six-line Wrasse. So far, he is fine. He was nearly killed by a Diadem Basslet and is still pretty shy. I hope he doesn’t turn into a beast. He’s so freakin cool. I had a full grown Orange-back Fairy Wrasse and they never looked at one another (Orange-back got velvet and died). So, can I add peaceful fish of other species (fire fish) or am I going to have to go semi-aggressive (chomis/dottyback)?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixlines have a strong intolerance of other wrasses, particularly the gentler fairy and flasher wrasses that would be safe with the shrimp.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^yup

So long as the sixline is present, there are no options for additional reef-safe wrasses on the table.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 155 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back