Ant like critter crawling on my mushroom corals.

Yahdiel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.. Added this mushroom coral about a week ago, everything has been fine, its been looking great.. Today I got home took a look at my mushroom coral with magnifying glass and i saw some ant like bugs crawling on it.. parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 30 nitrate, ph 8.2, temp 78.. will post picture but they're very hard to see.. Anything helps! Pls amd thank you

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.. Added this mushroom coral about a week ago, everything has been fine, its been looking great.. Today I got home took a look at my mushroom coral with magnifying glass and i saw some ant like bugs crawling on it.. parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 30 nitrate, ph 8.2, temp 78.. will post picture but they're very hard to see.. Anything helps! Pls amd thank you

Attachments

• 20220325_232155.jpg
    20220325_232155.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 78

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was likely just a copepod or amphipod. Your nitrates are pretty high, I would suggest getting them in check before they get out of control and cause issues (ramp up water changes and other forms of nutrient export (refugium, protein skimmer, carbon dosing, etc)33. Also, to ensure a healthy and stable tank you should be also testing Phosphate, Alkalinity, Magnesium, and Calcium (avoid API brand test kits).

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was likely just a copepod or amphipod. Your nitrates are pretty high, I would suggest getting them in check before they get out of control and cause issues (ramp up water changes and other forms of nutrient export (refugium, protein skimmer, carbon dosing, etc)33. Also, to ensure a healthy and stable tank you should be also testing Phosphate, Alkalinity, Magnesium, and Calcium (avoid API brand test kits).
Anything i should be worried about if they are copepods or amhipods? Im a year in to having this tank and this is the 1st I've seen that.. Yes my nitrates are quite high, im currently in that process of lowering it.. I've done 2 water changes and deep cleans last week and im looking to do another tomorrow.. Had it around 80 at one-point..

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything i should be worried about if they are copepods or amhipods? Im a year in to having this tank and this is the 1st I've seen that.. Yes my nitrates are quite high, im currently in that process of lowering it.. I've done 2 water changes and deep cleans last week and im looking to do another tomorrow.. Had it around 80 at one-point..
Nothing to worry about. There are a few species of amphipod that can be problematic, but they’re relatively uncommon. In general copepods and most amphipods are beneficial, they eat algae and detritus and are an excellent food source for fish and corals.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more pods you have breeding in the tank the more plankton that the coral can eat

I have no pod preditors in my tank and iv got 1000s of them so many they cover my glass at night well durring the day 2 just not as many

I feed them reef roids which in turn feeds my sps coral
All the little spots on glass and floating in tank are pods

16504089445307385439587122879947.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 39 51.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.9%
Back