Anthias alternative

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a decently heavily stocked 75 gallon tank, and was going to add a small group of lyretail anthias to give me some activity and color that I feel I lack in my other fish. I plan to upgrade to at least a 120 within the next 6-12 months, if not a 180, so I'm not overly concerned about my tank size. But I want something that's going to be really active preferably on all levels of the tank but mostly the top, not too hard to care for (I can feed several times a day if needed) and have good colors. Anthias are nice enough, but the more and more I think about them the more and more I feel like they aren't EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I've considered a wrasse, but I'd really rather have maybe 3 or 4 of whatever fish it is and I've heard that's not a great idea with most wrasses, at least not the ones I really like.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis will be a popular suggestion, although many people in the hobby have been disappointed by them.

Certain dartfish, like zebra and blackfin (but not Firefish!) live in groups.

Depending on the rest of your stock, Chrysiptera genus damsels like sapphire or yellow tail might be an option. I actually would recommend them over chromis.

U

User1

View Badges
Chromis will be a popular suggestion, although many people in the hobby have been disappointed by them.

Certain dartfish, like zebra and blackfin (but not Firefish!) live in groups.

Depending on the rest of your stock, Chrysiptera genus damsels like sapphire or yellow tail might be an option. I actually would recommend them over chromis.

Most if not all of the Chrysiptera damsels can be kept in bunches. @ca1ore probably has 60+ in his 450 gallon tank. I believe you will see a bit of territorial squabbles but shouldn't be anything out of the ordinary. I have kept 3 talbots and 3 azures together in my 40 breeder without issues but had plenty of rock work for their own homes and safe spot.

Damsels will not be open water swimmers though or at least mine are not. They tend to stay near rocks, corals, lower part of the tank unless it is feeding time.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels will not be open water swimmers though or at least mine are not. They tend to stay near rocks, corals, lower part of the tank unless it is feeding time.

Mine too, most of the time. Part of that is they get a pretty hard time from a bangaii cardinal and orchid dotty.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My firefish was my most active fish. However, if you want a school of something, I also wouldn’t suggest them, but maybe other dartfish. Really a collection of 5-10 peaceful damsels would work in a large enough aquarium and would liven up the reef.

Metalhead670

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow-tail damsels would also be pretty, and they are less aggressive damsels.

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've already got 2 firefish so I don't think another type of dartfish would be a great idea. They started as a pair but when they divorced it got messy. Now one hardly ever comes out, and the other only hangs out on one small area. I've got 2 blue chromis and they used to swim around, but now they seem to have paired up and always just hang out under an archway unless they're eating. I've considered yellowtail damsels before but wouldn't they cause issues between my 2 chromis and my 2 clowns?

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider fairy and flasher wrasses. You can have several, as long as they are not the same species. For both them and anthias, you need to feed the multiple times a day, and need a peaceful tank.

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias, flasher wrasses, and tilefish are all options. I don't have experience with damsels, but have heard that ones from the genus Pomacentrus or Chrysiptera are less aggressive.

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm now considering some damsels, since they're cheap and easier to add several at once. I'd go for wrasses but I'd kind of like to have several of the same fish, although I'll probably get a wrasse at some point either way. If I did go with chrysiptera damsels does anyone has suggestions on some dos and donts? Like any species that would do well together, a specific way to add them, etc? Or could I just go pick out a handful of whichever ones I like from that genus and put them in? Also will they pester things like my clowns, chromis or shrimp?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 72 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 9.0%
Back