anthias fins are turning black and the head looks dirty and odd swimming behavior (swimming sideways)

Guppyguppy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so one of my anthias fins look dirty and black along with top of his head and the darkness in the fins is getting worse everyday and he kind of looks confused at times and is swimming sideways and darting at other fishes sideways. I had a out break of marine velvet about 3months ago which killed a tang, 2 clowns and for whatever reason the 4 chromis were perfectly normal. I put the chromis in a quarantine tank for about a month just to be safe and treated them with culprimine. The tank was fishless for about little over a month. I added the chromis back and slowly added 3anthias and 2 baby clownfish. All have been doing well for the last 3 months. The anthias were quarantined but not treated for 2weeks before going into display as they didn't show any signs of diseases. possible my tank still has marine velvet? the older clownfish that had it looked very dirty before they passed away and the tang was covered with a dust and also looked dirty. This anthia is starting to get dirly like the clownfishes did, should i pull him?? this is my first go with anthias as people said they need tons of feeding to do well.
fish 1.jpg

Last edited:

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some males will develop a lot of dark coloring. Does it always swim on it's side? It might be display behavior if or responding to other fish or someone outside the tank if it swims normally most of the time. Besides feeding frozen Lyretail Anthias should take to pellets just fine and you could also use an autofeeder or two to add tiny amounts throught the day.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Some males will develop a marking on their pectoral fins. The pic is not clear enough to see the top of its body which may be pigment.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so one of my anthias fins look dirty and black along with top of his head and the darkness in the fins is getting worse everyday and he kind of looks confused at times and is swimming sideways and darting at other fishes sideways. I had a out break of marine velvet about 3months ago which killed a tang, 2 clowns and for whatever reason the 4 chromis were perfectly normal. I put the chromis in a quarantine tank for about a month just to be safe and treated them with culprimine. The tank was fishless for about little over a month. I added the chromis back and slowly added 3anthias and 2 baby clownfish. All have been doing well for the last 3 months. The anthias were quarantined but not treated for 2weeks before going into display as they didn't show any signs of diseases. possible my tank still has marine velvet? the older clownfish that had it looked very dirty before they passed away and the tang was covered with a dust and also looked dirty. This anthia is starting to get dirly like the clownfishes did, should i pull him?? this is my first go with anthias as people said they need tons of feeding to do well.
fish 1.jpg
Tough to see, the focus is off. Maybe a short video would be clearer?
If the fish is eating well, and not breathing fast, I think you can rule out velvet.
Jay

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t tell since the pic is blurry but it could be transitioning to a male and getting deeper colors. It will also shimmy and go after other fish esp the other anthias to show it’s dominance. Better pic would help.

OP
OP
G

Guppyguppy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, thanks for the replies. It does seem like he is going through a color change possibly to a male. Google search says they turn male and get darker. Having been out of the hobby for a while and setting up a new tank and quickly getting hit with marine velvet got me paranoid I guess. That is a nasty disease. Swimming sideways is still kind of weird, he only swims sideways when he is darting at other fishes like chromis and other anthias. For some reason the phone wont focus.
20220423_190213.jpg

OP
OP
G

Guppyguppy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's becoming more evident now. At first he just looked like a dark mess but the purple color is coming in now so he is transitioning. What a relief, I had them 3months now and they have yet to touch any sort of pellets or flakes.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back