Anthias hiding

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had a pair of lyre tail anthias in my tank for about four months. Both doing very well eating and swimming. Two days ago I noticed one was missing. I saw her swim out of a rock yesterday to only disapear again. The color looks good but she's not eating or comming out. Is this normal behavior for lyre tail anthias. I have not made any changes to my tank and no new fish added. Also I don't see any bullying I have two clowns blue spot jawfish flame angel and blue star leopard wrasse in a 75 gallon tank.

BigRed78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have experience with anthias however I’ve had experience with clowns being bullies . Once mine got big enough they started to bully everything. Only noticed when the bit me every time I put my arm in the tank.

JAMreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had a pair of lyre tail anthias in my tank for about four months. Both doing very well eating and swimming. Two days ago I noticed one was missing. I saw her swim out of a rock yesterday to only disapear again. The color looks good but she's not eating or comming out. Is this normal behavior for lyre tail anthias. I have not made any changes to my tank and no new fish added. Also I don't see any bullying I have two clowns blue spot jawfish flame angel and blue star leopard wrasse in a 75 gallon tank.
I have lyre tail anthias. Mine hide amoung the rocks on and off throughout the day. Neither of them ever miss a meal though. I will say I did start off with 3 anthias about 6months ago, I didn’t noticed the bullying until it was too late unfortunately but the most dominant female (now tuned male) was picking on the third one which caused her to hide and ultimately caused her death.
Just my experience. When they are establishing dominance it gets ugly between them. Do you have two females still?

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have the pair, and everything was fine for 4 months. No bullying from anthia or other fish.. Just seems weird been going on two days in the rocks sonehwere . She swam out yesterday morning for 3 mins and then gone again. I guess I just wait

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lyre tail anthias. Mine hide amoung the rocks on and off throughout the day. Neither of them ever miss a meal though. I will say I did start off with 3 anthias about 6months ago, I didn’t noticed the bullying until it was too late unfortunately but the most dominant female (now tuned male) was picking on the third one which caused her to hide and ultimately caused her death.
Just my experience. When they are establishing dominance it gets ugly between them. Do you have two females still?
Clowns never leave their cor or of the tank. Usually leaving everyone alone unless they get to close to the eggs

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine tend to hide although lately - always out. One thing is- As soon as food hits the tank- if hiding, theyre out and ready to eat.
If you can see the fish next time,.. . . check and see if tail looks shredded or any blemishes like a bruise on its' body and also if it seems to be breathing normal- Not rapid

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take it by no changes, you haven't changed your lighting either (brightened/increased)?

Were the clowns or the angel juveniles when the anthias were added? Are you certain there hasn't been even the slightest bit of bullying from the angel or the clown fish as they've matured?

My first suspscion would be bullying.

When I first started to read your post, my initial thought was bullying from another anthias as they may have grown/matured enough to reach the point going from juveniles seek safety in the group to trying to gain dominance/hierarchy...

But with only two, after 4 months I would think one would've transition to male and the remaining female would accept being his 'harem' (of one) ... unless both were already juvenile males and just finally reached an age of seeking dominance over the other. I think that very unlikely though.

As for the clowns and angel, it may not take much bullying at all from one of them to intimidate a meek, non-dominant anthias.

For example, my exquisite wrasse merely chased a new lubbocki wrasse across the tank for a ~8 seconds, then used its 'chest' to push/pin it in a corner for 2-3 seconds. No nipping of any kind. Just a short 'pinning'. But that was all it took for the lubbocki to dart into a hiding hole somewhere in the rocks and never come out again, not even to feed.

Granted, it wasn't anthias, and was more timid than my dispars. But shows that with some fish it really doesn't take much to make them feel very threatened.

If it makes attempts to come out again, try to keep a very close eye on whether any of the other fish move even the slightest bit toward it ... or even just posture or focus their glare toward it ... right before it darts back into cover. May give you a clue as to whether or not it feels intimidated by one of the other fish.

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take it by no changes, you haven't changed your lighting either (brightened/increased)?

Were the clowns or the angel juveniles when the anthias were added? Are you certain there hasn't been even the slightest bit of bullying from the angel or the clown fish as they've matured?

My first suspscion would be bullying.

When I first started to read your post, my initial thought was bullying from another anthias as they may have grown/matured enough to reach the point going from juveniles seek safety in the group to trying to gain dominance/hierarchy...

But with only two, after 4 months I would think one would've transition to male and the remaining female would accept being his 'harem' (of one) ... unless both were already juvenile males and just finally reached an age of seeking dominance over the other. I think that very unlikely though.

As for the clowns and angel, it may not take much bullying at all from one of them to intimidate a meek, non-dominant anthias.

For example, my exquisite wrasse merely chased a new lubbocki wrasse across the tank for a ~8 seconds, then used its 'chest' to push/pin it in a corner for 2-3 seconds. No nipping of any kind. Just a short 'pinning'. But that was all it took for the lubbocki to dart into a hiding hole somewhere in the rocks and never come out again, not even to feed.

Granted, it wasn't anthias, and was more timid than my dispars. But shows that with some fish it really doesn't take much to make them feel very threatened.

If it makes attempts to come out again, try to keep a very close eye on whether any of the other fish move even the slightest bit toward it ... or even just posture or focus their glare toward it ... right before it darts back into cover. May give you a clue as to whether or not it feels intimidated by one of the other fish.
I havent seen any chasing personaly but i will look more carfully just to be sure. However, I have no seen my anthia in two days not even for eating so im nervous shes gone, but i will give it a few more days.

Aluco

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent seen any chasing personaly but i will look more carfully just to be sure. However, I have no seen my anthia in two days not even for eating so im nervous shes gone, but i will give it a few more days.
Whatever happened with this? Going through basically the exact same thing. Mine just went into hiding today

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back