Anthias in a 30 gallon?

mainn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a new 30 gallon tank. For reference it is a shallow cube 24x24x12. I was wondering if it would be possible to keep a single anthias in a tank this size, and if so which species. I have read a few posts here and there about success, but nothing recent and nothing super firm. I was wondering if anyone had any experience or advice on this topic.

OP
OP
mainn

mainn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the tank size requirements because of nutrient export for increased feedings or because of swimming space. Right now the tank is planned to be a mangrove/ macroalgae tank with little to no coral, and over sized filtration.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like resplendent or the sister species randalls could work. Although in my 450, the trio of resplendent females never venture outside their section of the tank - which I reckon isn't even 30 gallons.

OP
OP
mainn

mainn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of those species have a much better price tag than the sunburst. I will have to look into them.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never keep an Anthias alone. It is too cruel. Anthias lives in swarms of often thousends.
They are adapted to have a lot of neigbours that helps looking for predators. And they have other social communication too.
I would say 10 is the smallest number. Then it easy to observe how they build up their community. They also need some shelter thats small enough to not letting predators to enter.
And strong circulation. I would say 6 feet is the minimum size for the usual Anthias species like Dispar.
Squamipinnis and other more aggresive species would like to have a tank of 8 feet or more.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You maybe got the impression that i dont like Anthias as Aquarium fishes. Thats totally wrong. I just love them.
If you are interested I would say begin with dispar. Buy 4-5 big males and the double amount females. Then you give everyone a name of their own.
You will quickly become a leading male and a bit of a pecking order between the males. But the pecking order is not absolute. Male number 2 can have a different view of the the later males.
It can be so that male number 1 ignores number 4 but not number 2. 2 and 3 maybe are pals and almost never squibble. Among the females it can be almost as many subordinent small males that the big ones ignore. And sometimes they try to display as males but the big males dont accept that. 1 sometimes dont accept that number 2 pecks on number 3. Its the job of number 1.
Another day number 1 can have a headache or something and take everything very easy. Just controlling that number 2 is not trying to take over as big boss. I can sit for hours and look how they interact. And thats just between the males. When the light begins to dim at night it is time for spawning and thats pretty common with Anthias in reef tanks.
Then it is even more intensive. But to really understand and enjoy you must have different name of everyone.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I thought so too but everyone who is following the BRS 160 can see a pair there swimming next to each other.
I dont know how often they do it but at least in the film.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, so singly or in prs, they do have to reproduce, but they are fine on their own. They aren't found in large schools in the wild like many of the commonly kept anthias, so therefore they are not as dependant on having conspecifics.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve wanted to get anthias for years. I had a 500 reef ten years ago and could’ve had bunches of them but couldn’t afford them. I’ve always considered them to be an open water schooling fish so I’ve stayed away from them with my current tank (24x24x24 60 gal cube). That being said, I am by no means an expert on anthias as per different species and individual requirements but I would personally stay away from them. I’m not sure a single fish would be very happy and I think 24” of horizontal swimming space is too little. Just my two cents! Good luck!

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also vote for the Sunburst. Better looking than a Borbonius IMO.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back