Anthias or Wrasse? Which fish to add?

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75-gallon tank and looking to add another fish.

I have always wanted some Anthias, but I've read they need larger tanks, 125+, and like to be kept as groups. However, on LA, they have some listed with smaller tank requirements. I wondered if people had experience with them in smaller tanks. If the tank size is listed as smaller, does that mean you could have multiple in a tank? These are the two I was looking at.

These only need a 50 gallon. So can you have several in a 75?

These say 70gallon, and typically it says 125 for a group. However, this one doesn't, so can you have several?

My other thought is to get a wrasse. Although one other issue is I have a mandarin, and my pod population seems to be keeping up with him. However, by introducing an Anthias or Wrasse, would that be too many pod eaters in a 75 and wipe out my population?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although one other issue is I have a mandarin, and my pod population seems to be keeping up with him. However, by introducing an Anthias or Wrasse, would that be too many pod eaters in a 75 and wipe out my population?

Anthias are plankton (water column) feeders. They won't hurt your pod population. The same for fairy and flasher wrasses. Leopard wrasses or Halichoeres or Coris wrasses do make a living eating pods and others benthic inverts.

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason anthias need a large tank is because the require multiple feedings a day and also like groups making their bioload heavy.

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason anthias need a large tank is because the require multiple feedings a day and also like groups making their bioload heavy.
Note I have no actually experience keeping these fish myself. Wrases on the other hand I've had plenty of and they will compete for pods with a mandarin.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias are plankton (water column) feeders. They won't hurt your pod population. The same for fairy and flasher wrasses. Leopard wrasses or Halichoeres or Coris wrasses do make a living eating pods and others benthic inverts.

Okay I didn't think they were, but when reading about them on LA they both listed having a larger refugium with pod populations will kept them feed through the day.

Now I remember reading that when I was first looking into them that they need 4+ feeds a day.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrases on the other hand I've had plenty of and they will compete for pods with a mandarin.

Which wrasses? Not fairies and flashers.

Okay I didn't think they were, but when reading about them on LA they both listed having a larger refugium with pod populations will kept them feed through the day.

I see it does say that for the anthias. That's silly, in my opinion.

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which wrasses?
Melanarus and yellow coris wrasse seemed to be the fish that constantly were hunting for pods. The faster more slender wrasses with pointed snouts are hunters and that's all they do all day until they see you and beg for food. The melarnus completely wiped out my bristle worm population in a month and I would feed them to him with tweezers from my sump.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wrasse

Higher color
Eats some hitchhikers
Less prone to disease
Does not require frequent feedings

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I’m looking into a wrasse for my tank but don’t want a super nasty one. It depends on the environment, really. Like any fish, if it has territories, I suppose it should be fine.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I mean I’m looking into a wrasse for my tank but don’t want a super nasty one. It depends on the environment, really. Like any fish, if it has territories, I suppose it should be fine.
I would give a read to these stickies here on R2R. Great info from @evolved .

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2 cents:

I have both wrasse and lyretail anthias (group of 4) in my 90 gallon system.

At least right now, fairy or flasher wrasse seem to come into the supply line healthier and are much more likely to survive than any anthias. If you do choose anthias, go with ones that have already been quarentined and treated, otherwise the losses you'll deal with can be demoralizing.

My anthias are hard. The individuals lower on the totem pole get skinny easy, despite multiple feedings. I like my group, but if I had to do it all over again, I likely would have just gone with wrasse. I think anthias would prefer a much larger home and much larger group with more specialized feeding.

On the other hand, my fairy wrasse are easy. They are good eaters, very active and colorful. While they can take a little longer to get out of the "shy phase," once they know they are safe, they are playful fun fish that seem well adapted for a system this size.

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow coris wrasse were never mean. 6 lines will ripe fish apart. But it's really the fish itself they all have different personalities.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the input. While I really like anthias and will definitely keep them on my wish list of fish. I think a Wrasse would be better for the tank. However, as I said before I want to stay away from pod eaters if possible to make sure my mandarin has plenty of food.

In reading one of the article above it seems only three types of wrasse actively eat pods. I will focus on the other ones to see if I can't find something that will fit.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the input. While I really like anthias and will definitely keep them on my wish list of fish. I think a Wrasse would be better for the tank. However, as I said before I want to stay away from pod eaters if possible to make sure my mandarin has plenty of food.

In reading one of the article above it seems only three types of wrasse actively eat pods. I will focus on the other ones to see if I can't find something that will fit.
Get a cleaner wrasse, and then you’ll have even more insurance on parasites! ;)

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a wrasse better have a good cover. My Squareback Anthia is bright orange with pink squares. Eats anything. Two years old and I don’t have a cover over the tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 45 86.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.8%
Back