Anthias order of addition

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks, my plan is to add 3 kind of Anthias in a 2 ft tank; i'm thinking in order of introduction, should they be added in the following sequential order:
  1. PICTILIS ANTHIAS
  2. RANDALL ANTHIAS
  3. BICOLOUR ANTHIAS
Thinking Bicolour Anthias as the last add because from LiveAquaria, they seem to be the most aggressive one compared to the first two (Peaceful).

Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

GFbEX2N.jpg

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first 2 are peaceful but the Bicolour are not. I wouldn't add them and find another peaceful anthias and add them all at the same time. That way no extra male aggression.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randall is the smallest, and least aggressive. Pictillis is the largest and the next least aggressive. Bicolor in the middle size-wise, but the most aggressive (though not lyretail aggressive). Pictillis far to large and active for a 2 ft tank though.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randall is the smallest, and least aggressive. Pictillis is the largest and the next least aggressive. Bicolor in the middle size-wise, but the most aggressive (though not lyretail aggressive). Pictillis far to large and active for a 2 ft tank though.

I was told Randall male has the best coloration, in comparison to Randall female?

Should I be adding singular or a pair of Randall?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told Randall male has the best coloration, in comparison to Randall female?

Should I be adding singular or a pair of Randall?

Maybe. The pictures you see of the males are mostly when 'flashing' in the presence of females. None of mine ever looked anything like the pictures - mainly lacking the magenta stripes - even with females. I'd actually suggest getting a few females and letting the dominant one turn male.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Bi-color and he is pretty but mean. I got a cariberry and dispar that he picked on. I ended up getting 2 more anthias to spread out the aggression and its working out so far. I think getting all females is a good idea but sometimes when they turn male in captivity they don't allways change color all the way. If you get a male it will probably come fully colored

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd actually suggest getting a few females and letting the dominant one turn male.

So I get this correct with fish, in this case Anthias .. when a female becomes male .. that is it, right? it can't turn back to female?

And normally when introducing 2 or 3 Randalls (all females), there's doomed to be 1 to become male? Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

I think getting all females is a good idea but sometimes when they turn male in captivity they don't always change color all the way. If you get a male it will probably come fully colored

Ok so now I just read your post and getting a little confused ... particularly this statement here "If you get a male it will probably come fully colored" .. but then the male would have turned from a female, right? be that in the ocean or breeder's aquarium? or you're saying get the male, who would've born as male his whole life ... ?

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into a Carberryi or a Red Saddleback. Both are very peaceful, have great personalities, and very colorful. A lot of the coloring is amazing up close.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I get this correct with fish, in this case Anthias .. when a female becomes male .. that is it, right? it can't turn back to female?

And normally when introducing 2 or 3 Randalls (all females), there's doomed to be 1 to become male? Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Ok so now I just read your post and getting a little confused ... particularly this statement here "If you get a male it will probably come fully colored" .. but then the male would have turned from a female, right? be that in the ocean or breeder's aquarium? or you're saying get the male, who would've born as male his whole life ... ?

They are hermaphrodites, born female, dominant turns male, kinda like clowns but opposite.
I have to say also if it's a 2' tank it's too small for anthia groups

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is true that a female changing to male in captivity may not become as colorful as one collected from the ocean. It is also true that males collected from the ocean with 'full' coloration will often fade in captivity. I suspect both are a function of the foods we use and the lack of the same social structures found in the wild.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back