Anthias outcompeting tangs for food?

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 Lyretail Anthias (4") and have been trying to add a small selection of tangs to the tank. I feed with a Plank autofeeder 4x per day (mix of Reef Jerky, TDO S and M, Seaweed Extreme) and frozen (sellection of Rods, LRS, Marine Cuisine, Mysis, Spirulina Brine) in the evening.

I have a Sailfin that competes just fine but have tried others - Purple, Gem most recently - that don't. Tangs are slightly smaller than the anthias but I figured there shouldn't be an issue. Tangs are eatimg the nori sheets ok but need to get some protein/fats as well.

Any suggestions to help the tangs or just let them be and hope they learn to compete?

More feedings? Less? More food at once so there is more available?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anthias are the same, they dart around the tank at feeding time, I have to feed more so that my other fishes get a chance. And they beg like crazy, and I feel like they have taught my other fish to beg too. Their feeding habits kind of disappoint me.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it obviously won't work with an auto-feeder you might have better luck manually getting food to everyone by mixing pellets and frozen.
The NLS pellets i feed seem to float until waterlogged whereas others sink and frozen gets carried by the return pump slowly descending.
My fish generally prefer the frozen more but it gives opportunity to skittish fish that prefer to be close to the rock with food at all strata.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's unlikely your tangs would let a group of anthias starve them out. I'd monitor the tang weights, but unless the start getting thin I wouldn't worry too much. They're constantly grazing all day when you aren't watching like sea cows

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen the PT getting thin which is worrisome. I got them all this size so as to have the ability to add to the gang with larger ones later but may have been a mistake.

I will try adding pellets in with the frozen next.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe add some vitamins like selcon or vitachem to the nori to help out with nutrition untill they start getting more flood. Not sure how your feeding the nori but maybe you can wrap some food inside and they get a yummy surprise :thinking-face:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back