OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be ready to feed them multiple times a day even if they're not feeding to try to stimulate them to. This will require daily siphoning of the Qt if they're not feeding as well as water changes to deal with parameters. a skimmer in Qt can help a bit with this and also in oxygenating the water.
having some fish that are already eating with them might help entice them to feed.
splitting them into two Qts might be best to maximize their chances by limiting disease spread as well as minimizing the effect of the number of fish and amount of food over a limited water volume.
I’m also thinking of adding a foam filter with biomedia instead of just placing an airstone. Figured the extra biomedia and filter combined with the bubbles would help??

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ROE in my refrigerator. My lyretails and clowns love it. It does come in a thick liquid. How do you rinse it without losing the eggs? My other foods on hand are LRS reef frenzy nano, pe mysis, and pe calanus. I’m think I might need other foods (live, or frozen)??
Try using a brine shrimp net to rinse your roe, if they’re eating the frozen foods, that’s great, get more frozen, the more the merrier. What proteins, fats , aminos, etc that they can’t get from food, they’ll get from another. See if you can find other types of roe to feed also

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placed my order today with LA general stock today. This will be my first order with them. I ended up ordering 4 Randall’s anthias (female) and 2 lyretail anthias (female). The lyretails are small listed as .75- 1.25” each and the Randall’s are 1.5 - 2” each. I’ll update tomorrow when my order arrives! I did add a dual foam filter with biomedia that has been in my sump for over a month. I also through in another cap full of biospira.

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my order from LA. 3 of 4 Randall’s were DOA! No clue what happened. Received the package from the delivery guy and upon opening, 3 of the 6 fish were dead. I fresh water dipped the 3 and placed them in my quarantine for observations. Thinking of doing a rube reef bath tomorrow. I figured multiple baths would have been stressful. I have t dosed the tank with anything yet as I’d like to get them eating first.

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 lyretail was observed breathing heavily tonight and died shortly after in quarantine . My first experience with LA general stock is far from good. They refunded me for the DOA’s this morning and I just uploaded the pictures of the latest death. What a waste of time!!! SMH

5A06A949-E60D-4579-B3E0-D65478DB7D57.jpeg

suta4242

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. Wonder why half were DOA???

Moving forward, if you ever receive such a shipment again, just temperature match - and sg match (or lower) - and place the fish in their tank. You can do baths and dips the following day if needed and a complete water change.

Is there any chance you can travel to a shop and pick out the anthias in person? That would be worth the hassle IMO.

Hope that helps
Angie

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. Wonder why half were DOA???

Moving forward, if you ever receive such a shipment again, just temperature match - and sg match (or lower) - and place the fish in their tank. You can do baths and dips the following day if needed and a complete water change.

Is there any chance you can travel to a shop and pick out the anthias in person? That would be worth the hassle IMO.

Hope that helps
Angie
That’s how I acclimated the ones that were alive. I floated and matched the quarantine SG to the water in the bag. Then a 5 min RODI dip and straight into QT. I did the ruby reef bath later last night since the one lyretail was breathing heavily, but I guess that was the final straw. I have a couple decent LFS by me but they never have any in stock so I figured I’d give LA a shot. I’m actually going to the LFS today to see if there is anything else I can add before I start meds. Plus I want to grab some more food for the remaining 2 anthias. I just checked on those 2 and they seem to be doing well. No longer laying on the bottom. They’re swimming around now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back