Antimony thru the roof???

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok my antimony is thru the roof at 26 i am lost. help me please? ready ti do a 100% water change bc i am freqking out so bad.

is it possible that icp test was flawed? where could this have come from? will carbon remove?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
becon776

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here it is

Screenshot_20200115-184149_Samsung Internet.jpg

OP
OP
becon776

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so go carbon asap??... also i had pretty decently elevated barium

OP
OP
becon776

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon will remove it
Antimony is used in lead free solder. Check your heater and pumps to make sure they're not exposed to saltwater.

when doing my last water change i stuck my hqnd in nsw and got a zap heater had broke but it wasnt i there fir that ling maybe 24-30hrs

OP
OP
becon776

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fresh media reactor of rox 8 in. i had removed it out of fear that it was stripping water of trace bc chaeto wont grow
as far as pumps there are no pumps in the water that are not submersible pumps meant for tank use. aside from heater that broke. all other elctrinics look in good order. this is freqking me out bc it appears that the level detected maxxed their testing pqrameters

Last edited:
OP
OP
becon776

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so.... carbon will put a dent in it. (hopefully significant. meaning it will absorb it. is antimony a lipophillic compound?mean it has strong affinity for the sand bed, the fishes tissue, the rock and bacteriq or will most of it be in the water column? i am used in my work dealing with organic compounds that qre stringly lipophillic amd therefore lipophillic in nature. i am hoping not bc that makes remediqtion much more difficult

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that would depend on the form of antimony. If it's pentavalent antimony, GFO will work better than carbon (it binds to iron). I've been trying to find solid research on it's acute and long term toxicity, and while it's not something you want in your tank for sure, I'm coming up with some very mixed research. Still, it shows little to no tissue concentration in almost all forms due to a low uptake. Most forms are excreted quickly.

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my ATI report and also have high Antimony. My level is 26 also.

I’ve noticed some STN in a few of my SPS after close to a year of thriving growth. Not sure if it’s the Antimony.

I’m running carbon and a poly filter while I’m doing water changes.
Not sure what the source could be. My titanium finnex looks fine. Cor-20 looks to have no issues.

I did 3D print a couple adapters for my WAV pumps not sure of that could be the culprit.

does anyone know if Triton Detox would remove Sb?

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running carbon and a poly filter while I’m doing water changes.

That should be sufficient, as poly is especially good at removing soluble metals. I hate to say I'm still up in the air about whether or not carbon will effectively trap antimony. It should bind to other elements that would be trapped by carbon, and thus removed from the system with a carbon change after 72-144 hours.

Not sure what the source could be. My titanium finnex looks fine. Cor-20 looks to have no issues.

I did 3D print a couple adapters for my WAV pumps not sure of that could be the culprit.

does anyone know if Triton Detox would remove Sb?
If you used ABS material in your 3d printer, this may well have contained antimony.

I don't know how Triton Detox functions, but if it's a chelant, it will bind antimony just as it would arsenic or any other metal.

As I keep coming back to this post, I'll close with this, there's not a whole lot of research done to effectively study antimony and it's effects on marine and aquatic environments. Almost everything I've read has to do with inhaled or ingested variants of antimony trioxide. This is not the form you're most likely to find in a water source with available calcium, sodium, or other elements to bind to. Those would be tetravalent antimony and calcium antimonite.

So far the best resource I've come across, which even notes it's own gaps and flaws in methodology is a Canadian groundwater study specifically regarding antimony.

You can read it in it's entirety here.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be sufficient, as poly is especially good at removing soluble metals. I hate to say I'm still up in the air about whether or not carbon will effectively trap antimony. It should bind to other elements that would be trapped by carbon, and thus removed from the system with a carbon change after 72-144 hours.

If you used ABS material in your 3d printer, this may well have contained antimony.

I don't know how Triton Detox functions, but if it's a chelant, it will bind antimony just as it would arsenic or any other metal.

As I keep coming back to this post, I'll close with this, there's not a whole lot of research done to effectively study antimony and it's effects on marine and aquatic environments. Almost everything I've read has to do with inhaled or ingested variants of antimony trioxide. This is not the form you're most likely to find in a water source with available calcium, sodium, or other elements to bind to. Those would be tetravalent antimony and calcium antimonite.

So far the best resource I've come across, which even notes it's own gaps and flaws in methodology is a Canadian groundwater study specifically regarding antimony.

You can read it in it's entirety here.

I’m a bit confused by your comments about detox. Most chelators are negatively charged since metals are generally positively charged. Arsenic will be present as arsenate (negatively charged, looking like phosphate) and I wouldn’t expect a metal chelator to bind it.

do you have evidence that detox binds arsenate?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Antimony is thought to be mostly antimonate in seawater, thus negatively charged and unlikely to bind to a metal chelator. But in a situation like this it may actually be an organic antimony compound, which might bind to GAC.

OP
OP
becon776

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well im doing a 60% water change tomorrow. really sucks. adding a bunch of new toys too. wish i knew than dang source. when heater broke i heard the crack and got it out right away. also a month ago i was doing some sanding in livung room before a wall paint. sort of near tank. like an idiot didnt think ti cover tank till too late. i just read the sds report for paint and antimony wasnt listed. maybe a pump? i have used a couple times a "sealed" new sump pump to get water from down stairs to upstairs. the hone depot kind. no longer ginna do that.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a bit confused by your comments about detox. Most chelators are negatively charged since metals are generally positively charged. Arsenic will be present as arsenate (negatively charged, looking like phosphate) and I wouldn’t expect a metal chelator to bind it.

do you have evidence that detox binds arsenate?

I don't, actually, since I don't know the chemical components of Detox.
I know specific chelators will bind arsenic, and by extension antimony.
I also know the most common chelator for lead poisoning is also the most common for arsenic, 2,3-Dimercaprol.
It is a false equivalence to assume that they are using 2,3-Dimercaprol just on the basis that Detox specifies lead, so you're right, I cannot positively say that Detox removes arsenic OR antimony. Only the MSDS, which for some reason I cannot access on Triton's site, can tell me more about that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back