Any advice for a large tank noob?

nivram

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 10, 2008
Messages
603
Reaction score
7
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a 240 cube. Right now I'm still in the planning stages. Also waiting for my wife to get over the shock of its 4'x4' foot print :D

First thing on my list is to get a stand. Any advantages of a steel stand over wood? If possible id like to avoid center braces.
 
IMO Steel is the way to go. Not that wood can't be made strong a perfect for holding your tank I just prefer steel stands powder coated. I had a stte stand built for my 265 and love it
 
You could avoid center braces with both as whatever you choose will have to be custom. I would recommend a steel stand with wood skining and make sure it has side doors. And if it's not going against a wall then doors on all sides
 
You could avoid center braces with both as whatever you choose will have to be custom. I would recommend a steel stand with wood skining and make sure it has side doors. And if it's not going against a wall then doors on all sides

That's the plan either way. I want to be able to access all sides with a door or removable panels. I also want to have a system to hold and hide all power cords.

After the wife gets over the initial shock. Itt's time to negotiate tank location. If I get my way, 3 sides will be visible. Otherwise it's only 2 sides if it goes in place of the old tank.

Do you know any welders? I was thinking about Mitchell welding if they are still around. But that's a long way from Fort Lauderdale.
 
For those with steel stands. Any ideas to help spread the load out? The room my tank would go in is tiled. I imagine my setup weighing almost 2 tons. That's a lot of weight in a small area on 4 tiles.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new