Any advice for a large tank noob?

nivram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a 240 cube. Right now I'm still in the planning stages. Also waiting for my wife to get over the shock of its 4'x4' foot print :D

First thing on my list is to get a stand. Any advantages of a steel stand over wood? If possible id like to avoid center braces.

pgr11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO Steel is the way to go. Not that wood can't be made strong a perfect for holding your tank I just prefer steel stands powder coated. I had a stte stand built for my 265 and love it

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could avoid center braces with both as whatever you choose will have to be custom. I would recommend a steel stand with wood skining and make sure it has side doors. And if it's not going against a wall then doors on all sides

OP
OP
nivram

nivram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could avoid center braces with both as whatever you choose will have to be custom. I would recommend a steel stand with wood skining and make sure it has side doors. And if it's not going against a wall then doors on all sides

That's the plan either way. I want to be able to access all sides with a door or removable panels. I also want to have a system to hold and hide all power cords.

After the wife gets over the initial shock. Itt's time to negotiate tank location. If I get my way, 3 sides will be visible. Otherwise it's only 2 sides if it goes in place of the old tank.

Do you know any welders? I was thinking about Mitchell welding if they are still around. But that's a long way from Fort Lauderdale.

OP
OP
nivram

nivram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those with steel stands. Any ideas to help spread the load out? The room my tank would go in is tiled. I imagine my setup weighing almost 2 tons. That's a lot of weight in a small area on 4 tiles.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back