Any Akula UKS-200 Users out there?

Ordovician_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just setup my Akula UKS-200 Protein Skimmer and it is WHISPER QUITE.

I am going to let it break in for a week or so but wanted to see if anyone had tips for tuning it.

Genvid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for writing in your message, I also have an Akula UKS-160, I haven’t been able to break the skimmer for a week now, but it seems like there are few people who own these skimmers, I still haven’t received any help.

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Akula 160 and did the DC conversion to it. Worth every penny. Never had any over flows or issues. Took about 48 hours then started skimming really well. If you are having issues with tuning I'd suggest keep the water level in the skimmer down a bit and let it run for a couple of days. Make sure your air is adjusted so you don't see big bubbles just bursting at the surface.

Genvid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Akula 160 and did the DC conversion to it. Worth every penny. Never had any over flows or issues. Took about 48 hours then started skimming really well. If you are having issues with tuning I'd suggest keep the water level in the skimmer down a bit and let it run for a couple of days. Make sure your air is adjusted so you don't see big bubbles just bursting at the surface.
Thank you very much

Genvid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a dc kit for Akula UKS-160 today, tell me how difficult it is to reinstall it and how to set it up.

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a dc kit for Akula UKS-160 today, tell me how difficult it is to reinstall it and how to set it up.
It's very easy... Just remove the 4 screws on the base of the skimmer. The skimmer will lift right off and the base with the motor will be exposed. Unscrew the motor from the base and pop the new DC motor on. No complicated at all.

OP
OP
O

Ordovician_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very easy... Just remove the 4 screws on the base of the skimmer. The skimmer will lift right off and the base with the motor will be exposed. Unscrew the motor from the base and pop the new DC motor on. No complicated at all.

Where can you get the upgrade kit?

Genvid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sdc1200-upgrade-1_4.jpg

OP
OP
O

Ordovician_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main issue I am having, I think at least. My 200 does not have an air adjustment screw, just a bare line under the silencer cap? It appears that they discontinued use of a screw adjustment with this model?

Rothric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 160, and it does not have the air adjustment screw either. They ended up changing the design slightly and none of the models have it anymore. I wish they would update the manual though, I spent waaaaay too long trying to find that adjustment screw!
The main issue I am having, I think at least. My 200 does not have an air adjustment screw, just a bare line under the silencer cap? It appears that they discontinued use of a screw adjustment with this model?

OP
OP
O

Ordovician_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 160, and it does not have the air adjustment screw either. They ended up changing the design slightly and none of the models have it anymore. I wish they would update the manual though, I spent waaaaay too long trying to find that adjustment screw!

Ditto, I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out. The manual ;eaves a lot to be desired.

What water depth are you using? Is yours DC?

Rothric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto, I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out. The manual ;eaves a lot to be desired.

What water depth are you using? Is yours DC?

Mine is the AC pump that came with it, running at about 8.25" depth.

It's honestly been pretty steady for me, especially since moving it to my new tank/sump. Previous tank my refugium was before my skimmer, so random pieces of chaeto would get sucked in, eventually leading to an overflow. My new setup has the skimmer before the refugium, so no more stuck pieces of chaeto.

What issue are you having with yours?

OP
OP
O

Ordovician_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is the AC pump that came with it, running at about 8.25" depth.

It's honestly been pretty steady for me, especially since moving it to my new tank/sump. Previous tank my refugium was before my skimmer, so random pieces of chaeto would get sucked in, eventually leading to an overflow. My new setup has the skimmer before the refugium, so no more stuck pieces of chaeto.

What issue are you having with yours?

I am running my water levels in the sump too high, had to put it on a stand. It is still overflowing the cup with white foam and water. I think it is just a break/in height issue. BUT it would be nice to be able to adjuct the air intake for tuning purposes. I cannot believe they just removed the ability to do that.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 16.8%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 57 41.6%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.1%
Back