any beginners/easy coral recommendation?

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small (15G) FOWLR tank for many years. I am seriously thinking about upgrading to a much larger 60+G tank in a few months. I do maintenance once a week, canister filter cleaning (fluval 306, oversize for this tank) & 20% water change. My ammonia, nitrite is at zero. Nitrate is between 5-10. From what I read, this is not too bad for fish only tank. I use the ReaSea test kit. I control the feeding. Feed 2-3 times a day, small amount. I get upset with the fish if they don't finish the food. Haha

I did not test for other parameters. I don't test often since this is a very mature tank setup ( >15 years). Currently house a neon dotty back and 2 green chromist and a couple of hermit. 1 inch of sand and maybe 10-15lb of live rock.

Do you think its suicide to add corals to this tank? I don't have a good light right now , but plan on getting something like AI PRIME 16 HD ( can be reuse when i get a larger tank.

I am thinking using this current tank as a learning/experiment with some easy corals before upgrading. Any recommendations/opinion? Or it will be easier to wait and add corals on a larger tank. The big tank will have a skimmer for sure.

Fish4udog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef , been doing this for 40 yrs best advice is do your research on what you want and avoid any corals that grow and spread rapidly that way they don't over take your tank. If you're not sure there's plenty of very knowledgeable reefers on here to ask.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncans, leathers,green star polyps, palythoa,

If you are going to keep the canister. You can keep any coral that you want. You don't have to run a sump.

OP
OP
N

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all. I'll research the suggestions here. yes, for this small tank, i don;t plan on changing the filter. Its a acrylic, and the small opening on top cannot accommodate most HOB skimmer or other filter. Canister is the best choice unless i go to a sump.

Taking it one small step at a time. Don't think i want to consider dosing now. Maybe a couple of years down the road.

Fish4udog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really won't need to dose if you're doing weekly water changes and are just doing soft corals and some LPS corals. Just get test kits to check every couple weeks until your comfortable with the corals you get

OP
OP
N

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. for testing, right now i'm doing bare minimum, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate, monthly since i have a FOWLR. whats the other parameter i really have to test when i add coral? I really not enjoy testing!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Duncans are definitely a good recommendation. Zoas too. I'd suggest getting an ICP test done first to be sure you don't have anything in your water that would kill any new additions.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 18.7%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 44 41.1%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 15.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back