Any Benefits to Adding My Old 48" Solarmax T5s to my Current 125g Setup w/4x AI Hydra 32s

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some lighting assistance.

I am setting up my 125g DT 72"x18"x22" and I currently have 4x AI Hydra 32s. Haven't played with placement yet.

1. Would the 4x Hydra 32s be enough to grow SPS, or am I limited to only LPS?

2. I have an old 48" Solarmax T5 HO I used about 10 or so years ago for my previous reef setup. I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to purchasing some new bulbs and throwing it on to my the new DT.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well of course it would benefit! How many bulbs is it?

It's 2x 48" Bulbs with the Moonlighting strip in the middle. It's not the nicest looking light and it does some good draining on my power bill.

I haven't used this light in years, but I grew LPS with it.... Xenia, Frogspawn, Different types of Zoas... I failed with the SPS, which I'm under the impression this light isn't great for, but that also could've been more my ignorance of keeping hard corals.

I'm hoping to grow SPS this go around. I'm hoping the 4x Hydra 32s on a 6 ft tank can do some SPS.

If the light would have a legit benefit than I may try it. Is there anything the T5s would supply, aside from more light coverage, than the Hydra LEDs would?

If it won't do much then maybe I'll just liquidate the light.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People grow sps with only leds no doubt, but there are multiple circulating threads indicating that mh and t5 are superior.

4 32s on a 6ft tank will have shadowing

OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, unfortunately, there will be shadowing if I evenly space them. I have plans to add more in the future. For now they will concentrated in certain areas, within the middle of the tank, and leave the edges shadowed. If successful, I will either add more of these, or grab some 64s.

Thanks for the input. I will consider my T5 again.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back