Any Bubble Algae Eaters that are Suitable for a Nano?

Lord_Mort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I've got a 13.5 gal Nano with a bad BA problem. I have 3 emeralds but they are not making any progress. I would love to add a fish to help but everything I have read suggests a fox face which is too big for a nano.

I'd much rather rely on a "natural" solution vs chemicals or manual intervention.

Anyone have a suggestion?

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BA is such a pia. Other than reducing nutrients and manual removal. Not much to offer other than

I took a pointed bamboo skewer and siphon hose to break them off lid and suck them up. I just used a smaller hose to slow down the flow. Considered it done when the bucket was full. Added new SW. Water change and BA removal. Took a while but it went away. Minor annoyance now that my emerald seems to clear up

I try to stay away from chemical fixes too. But if it’s bad enough……

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've had hit and miss with emeralds. I have a couple in my 20g and they've just about eradicated the last bit.
You do need to make sure they are female emeralds.
The females are smaller and don't have as large of claws. Or, look at the belly. Ca. Easily tell the difference.
Males have been known to eat zoas, also. I Haven't experienced this, as I am always careful to get females.

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had issues with bubble algae recently. Bought a few emerald crabs from a lfs that didn’t help. I read from here to try out reefcleaners.com. They warranty their emerald crab eat bubble algae. I order a few and within 2 weeks they pretty much wiped out my bubble algae.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 47 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back