Any challenges due to Elevation?

SaltEverywhere

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 26, 2016
Messages
47
Reaction score
44
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience keeping a reef tank in the mountains?
I have finally had enough of California and will be moving to the Nevada side of Tahoe within the next 2-3 years. I expect to buy a house around 7500-8000 foot elevation. There's not a lot of information online about how marine tanks do when they are way above sea level. I found some oxygen calculators that suggest the O2 saturation in the tank will be about 75% of normal. I have searched the forums though, and can't find anyone who has commented on their personal experience trying to maintain a reef tank above 6000 feet. I'm hoping that's because no one has noticed any difference, but I'd like to know before I set up a tank if there are special considerations. Maybe certain creatures don't do well at the lower oxygen sats, or maybe no one has commented because everyone in the mountains gave up? Thanks in advance for your help.
Tahoe61, I'm taking a wild guess that maybe you have had some experience along these lines?
 
Great question! I'm sure there is some info out there but it's just where and what?! Good luck on the pursuit!
 
Got it. Thanks, I'm kinda new to forum posting. So what about it @Tahoe61? Do you have some insight about reef keeping somewhere like say, Tahoe? (hope I did that right). Thanks
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new