Any cheap alternatives to the Kamoer NKP dosing pumps?

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run into a big of a snag with these pumps. I've had one running my ATO for over a year now without hitch until I started using kalkwasser. The tubing inside the head of the pump isn't able to handle the kalk and degraded in about 2 weeks. I'm going to have to find an alternative, or an alternate head for the little pump. Anyone have any idea what I could use?

Thanks!

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, i should have searched the price of your mentioned pump before responding, in all honesty I wouldn't trust something that cheap with the potential ramifications of malfuction...

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For cheap, you can’t beat Jebao.
I’ve run these $90 dp-4s for 5 years now and never serviced them, or at least yet.
But, I have not run Kalk on them and I suspect it may end up the same, plugged, with some suspended particles.
But is cheap.
IMG_1675.jpeg

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, i should have searched the price of your mentioned pump before responding, in all honesty I wouldn't trust something that cheap with the potential ramifications of malfuction...

No worries, I should have mentioned the price in the OP. The only problem I ran into with it was the tubing inside the pump head cracked and let air into the line so suction broke, thus no ATO. Fortunately I had two other pumps and just swapped heads. I tried replacing the tubing, but the airline I had was too thick. These things use exceptionally thin tubing.

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For cheap, you can’t beat Jebao.
I’ve run these $90 dp-4s for 5 years now and never serviced them, or at least yet.
But, I have not run Kalk on them and I suspect it may end up the same, plugged, with some suspended particles.
But is cheap.
IMG_1675.jpeg

I'm trying to go as cheap as I can. Right now our budget is absolutely zero, and I'm going to have to replace a light fixture sooner rather than later. The Kamoer are less than $20 which is why I've used them up until now. The only problem is the tubing inside the head is incredibly thin and the caustic kalk ate through the side of the tubing.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$20 bucks, wow, that’s very cheap, but if don’t work….
A Jebao will run same but I’ve only seen a 2-3-4 head, so 45.00 on Amazon in US.

The only cheaper doser is you!
That one’s free…..

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
No worries, I should have mentioned the price in the OP. The only problem I ran into with it was the tubing inside the pump head cracked and let air into the line so suction broke, thus no ATO. Fortunately I had two other pumps and just swapped heads. I tried replacing the tubing, but the airline I had was too thick. These things use exceptionally thin tubing.

You can most likely replace the tubing. I found some on Amazon for my jebao dosers. I've been running the jebaos for many years with the only issue ever being the tubing degrading over time. I used to replace the entire head, which was pretty dumb. For the cost of one replacement head I got enough tubing (which is all i actually needed) to last me for many, many years. I'll probably be dead and gone before I run out of replacement tubing.

I'd suggest trying to figure out what size tubing you need and try to source that before replacing the entire unit.

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can most likely replace the tubing. I found some on Amazon for my jebao dosers. I've been running the jebaos for many years with the only issue ever being the tubing degrading over time. I used to replace the entire head, which was pretty dumb. For the cost of one replacement head I got enough tubing (which is all i actually needed) to last me for many, many years. I'll probably be dead and gone before I run out of replacement tubing.

I'd suggest trying to figure out what size tubing you need and try to source that before replacing the entire unit.

Yeah, I have no clue what type of tubing it is. I've got two types of silicone airline tubing and one type of non-silicone tubing here and both fit, but are too much for the little motor to work with. Knowing the price I'm betting it's some super flimsy cheap stuff though. I'll see if I can find a Jebao for $45. If I can find that I might be able to get one in January. I have another spare Kamoer that I can swap heads with until then.

Of course this is assuming I can figure out how to control one with a RoboTank running reef-pi.

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao might be difficult without soldering, etc.

Found a webpage that lists material compatibilities with tubing materials. The explanation for the ratings can be found here. SIice Kalkwasser is Calcium hydroxide solution (I think ?) the closest I could find was POtassium and Sodium Hydroxide.

Silicone should be ok according to that, but that doesn't how well it actually holds up in thin tubes ...

Jposch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For kalk, I like the fx-stp set to dose 24/7 and I don't use an actual "ATO." I've had it running for a year with only refilling the kalk barrel when needed, and ots one of the very very few things that just works without having to mess with it, clean it, etc. Same dosing tube. I'll replace it at a year though, as that is significantly beyond the 1000hr rating.
Slurry is hard on every doaer tube. Especially when using gritty kalk like Mrs. Wages or brs. Avast or esv are ideal for that.
This setup Essentially can't flood. Sump level changes take weeks to be noticeable. If someone need that frivilous automation, you can add a high sump level float switch and a high limit ph cutoff code on a tank controller. You can program the kamoer to only drip during a set time window as well instead of constant. I lose everything on 24/7 drips because it tremendously limits the failure points by having nothing switching in and off several times per day.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%

Back