Any coral you regret

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP shouldn't be allowed to be sold
Thanks for the double dose of GSP ptsd, just when I stopped having nightmares about my oooooooold CAD 40 AIO being over-run. Seriously Starship Troopers/zergling levels of zero to infestation.

Edit: also xenias, see above.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta start scraping my mystic monti off… it was on a rock I acquired when I bought my new tank and was out of the water in a trash bag for 7 hours and I figured it would die! Nope it took off with a vengeance with all new saltwater and is huge now haha.. I keep piling rocks on top of it and nothing stops it! Paint scraper and siphon is now my only choice.
You can Send it to me

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over a decade ago I had a bubble coral that grew well, to well, and man those sweepers packed a powerful punch. I had to relocate it to the back corner of the tank where you really couldn’t see it well. What a waste, it was a beautiful coral.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought too. Then a piece was missed and grew in places not easily accessible.
Likely doesn't help your situation but I found GSP grows very slowly or not at all in high/direct flow. I've got GSP covering 80% of the back wall of a WB10 except its bare where the powerhead is blowing against the back wall.

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this platygyra(?) (encrusting brain coral) for about 15 years, and it's grown to pretty much cover the viable part of the rock it's on.

20220202_190002.jpg
The sweeper tentacle waving in front of the anthias' face is why it's so large. They stretch out to about 4-6 inches when it "feels encroached upon" by any of the neighboring coral, and kills them all off quite readily. So, the branching acropora have to grow up and then over to claim turf. There are days I'm tempted to add the rock to the driveway out back...

Cheers,
Ray :cool:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a great specimen of organ pipe coral and I fragged it many times before I got tired of it and traded it in thinking I could get a replacement fragment from someone who had gotten a fragment from me. Well that didn’t happen and all the replacements I had tried are ugly, fast growing weeds that are nothing like what I once had and they grow so quickly that I am going to throw them away and never look back when I get home from vacation.
Like gsp with calcareous red tubes, not something I would ever give to an enemy.

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang so much hate for poor GSP. I have mine on the back glass and put a magnetic shelf with a ceramic fish house on it. Now the shelf and house are completely covered and it is a great house that my clownfish and starry blenny make use of. I just keep rocks off the glass and it can't spread.

I also have Xenia on my glass and on one rock - the finger leather also on that rock I think packs a punch because the Xenia stays away from it. Also I notice that the Xenia will jump ship and try and attach to other rocks but I can see it and pluck it out. So because of that I think Xenia is more "invasive" than GSP. But I still love my Xenia - put rocks next to it and I've got frags I can sell to the LFS within 2 weeks.

I think in terms of REGRET it's unfortunately daisy polyps - just when I think they're growing and doing great ... they die off. I've tried them 3 times and when all the other corals are growing and looking great these fizzle out. Same with blue sympodium.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I got a free frag with 3 what I thought were zoas, turned out the are pallys and in 6 months there is a 100 now. Not sure what to do, lol. I put the frag on a long rock that had a bunch of other coral on it and now it is taking over the rock and growing into the other coral.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably won't buy any galaxea again. They are pretty but for the size the sweepers are nuts and also pack a punch. They also like light and take up valuable real estate and space bc if the sweepers. Also probably won't do any more kenya trees. I'll stick to nepthea.

JUSKIDN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daisy star polyps.
I mounted a small frag on the top of my scape and now it’s spread down half of it putting all my zoas in the shade. Going to try to remove it soon but unsure the best way to get it out there.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back