Any crashes or fish kills?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sump Crab
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 3, 2017
Messages
2,201
Reaction score
3,192
Location
Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tank crashes or fish kills associated with a BTA getting caught in a powehead? Considering adding a RBTA to my tank that has a mp10.
 
Never crashed from that or fish deaths associated with that. But I think I’ve had 3 nems in 5 years play chicken with a powerhead and lose. It’s not fun and makes the water pretty nasty. Use the sponge guard on your pump and you should be ok
 
Put a mesh filter media bag, spinge guard or pantyhose over the powerhead and you wont have to worry about it getting shredded in the powerhead. I say that but personally haven't done it as my bubbletip found a spot it likes and hasn't moved since.
 
There are many factors regarding if a visit to the PW by a nem will crash your tank or not. Tank size, maturity, nem species, filtration system all play a major role. I’ve had my fair share of nems go into a PW, from small BTAs to a XL BW nem (that one still hurts ) and my tank always pulls through with little consequences (other than a bruised ego). The bigger your tank, the better your export methods, and the higher amount of bacteria or live rock you have should help you ride out any unfortunate incidents in your tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new