Any DIYers for 2 Part?

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys,

just want to know if there's anyone out there who's making their own 2part supplements? if so, what are the recipes and how are the results? I understand Randy has a recipe but i would like to know if there's anyone else out there doing the 2 part by themselves and having success/failures. Please chime in

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Randy's recipe 1 since 2008, with slight modification to the alk and mag part:

Calc: 2 cups Prestone Driveway Heat made up to 1 gallon with RO/DI. Good luck finding DOW Flakes.

Alk: 2 1/4 cups Baking Soda (Arm & Hammer), baked at 350 for an hour. Note Randy recommended 300 and I wasn't convinced the thickness of the baking soda had done it's conversion to sodium carbonate. The extra heat doesn't hurt anything and assures that I get it all converted. If not converted, the remaining sodium bicarbonate doesn't have as great a solubility, and you could end up with precipitate in the jug.

Mag: 5 and 3 cups or MAG Flakes and Epsom Salt, respectively, made up to one gallon with RO/DI. The slight modification here is that I individually dissolve the two first and then mix together. It would appear that I get less precipitation when doing it this way. Then again, it just might be me.

Also realize the BRS system is Randy's recipe.

OP
OP
dragonfisher33

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is the 2nd time I'm hearing someone using prestone driveway heat. are you not worried about the "impurities"?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there impurities in there? I've been using it since 2008.....don't tell my fish and corals about impurities.......I don't want them to know!

H2Ohio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for Randys 2 part, recipe #2 is good for making small batches if you have a small tank. Damprid, baking soda and Epsom salts are all pretty easy to find and I already had the first two in my house.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back