Any experience with Flume water meter?

jasper9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed the Flume water meter when researching the Moen Flo. This one (flume) looks like it reads your water meter from the utility company wirelessly (over RF?) instead of being plumbed in which is interesting. Has anyone used it? I've long wanted live graphs of usage even before I was into aquariums !

Last edited:
OP
OP
jasper9

jasper9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooooo I'm an unabashed first adopter of tech things and I couldn't help myself. Amazon had it to me in just over a day (!!!). First impression - holy crap this thing is great. Easy set up. Pretty simple app and ui. Seems legit from the quick tests I did using a faucet. We'll see when I next fill a bin!

I ordered so quick because I found a list of compatible water meters in their site and mine was listed. Yup! Reads it like a champ.

OP
OP
jasper9

jasper9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really digging this meter so far. Installation and app usage has been a breeze. They just seem to work without fiddling - very rare in taking a chance on new (?) tech without much for reviews yet.

Screenshot_20201004-094729.png

Screenshot_20201004-094747.png

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed the Flume water meter when researching the Moen Flo. This one (flume) looks like it reads your water meter from the utility company wirelessly (over RF?) instead of being plumbed in which is interesting. Has anyone used it? I've long wanted live graphs of usage even before I was into aquariums !

I have just ordered this, $30 less. Both kits on Amazon
StreamLabs Smart Home Water Monitor Leak Detector with Wi-Fi

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just ordered this, $30 less. Both kits on Amazon
StreamLabs Smart Home Water Monitor Leak Detector with Wi-Fi
The Flume straps around the water meter which is in the ground under the sidewalk here. The Streamlabs straps to the main line coming into the house, mine is in the garage.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have been using StreamLabs Smart Home Water Monitor Leak Detector with Wi-Fi system for a few days now and is great. Does everything the flume does but $30 less.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These look great! Can both of you explain a bit more about the setup of each unit? My water meter used to be in the house so the meter reader person would have to come check it every few months. Now it sits in front of my house and I assume they just point a reader gun at it (either that or they still visually look at it but they simply have to walk up to it instead of entering the house). How would both of these work on mine (or would they not work in my case)? There is a bit of the pipe exposed above ground, just below the meter I'd that helps.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These look great! Can both of you explain a bit more about the setup of each unit? My water meter used to be in the house so the meter reader person would have to come check it every few months. Now it sits in front of my house and I assume they just point a reader gun at it (either that or they still visually look at it but they simply have to walk up to it instead of entering the house). How would both of these work on mine (or would they not work in my case)? There is a bit of the pipe exposed above ground, just below the meter I'd that helps.
From what I read, the Flume meter attaches to the water meter. The StreamLabs straps to any part of the water pipe coming into the house next to shut off valve which in my case is inside the garage. Both meters need to plug into outlet, how can I plug the Flume in when underground. I am sure the Flume is a good item but not in my case.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I read, the Flume meter attaches to the water meter. The StreamLabs straps to any part of the water pipe coming into the house next to shut off valve which in my case is inside the garage. Both meters need to plug into outlet, how can I plug the Flume in when underground. I am sure the Flume is a good item but not in my case.
Thanks for this! I have complete access to the pipe where the shutoff valve is so that would work for me.

I was a bit confused as to having to attach the other type to the pipe underground. It seemed a bit odd for a consumer product to make people dig (and fairly deep) in order to use their product. Added to that I think where I live the city owns the pipe up to the house so that wouldn't be allowed. You could do it but if they had to access the pipe for whatever reason and found it they would remove it but that's something I would have to research for validity. It still seems like a lot of work.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back