Any experience with Lantern Basslets (S. Baldwini)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zionas
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 6, 2020
Messages
6,068
Reaction score
3,491
Location
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone kept Lantern Basslets before? What’s their care and temperament like? Since they’re simultaneous hermaphrodites, would any two make a stable pair? Thanks.
 
I had a Harlequin Bass (very similar, I “think”), and if I recall it liked to inhabit the lower portion of the tank. It ate with a lot of enthusiasm— reminded me of a tiny shark (lol), but it didn’t bother any fish except to say ‘get out of my way’ at feeding time. Unfortunately it came with a disease from the LFS and I foolishly wasn’t quarantining back then; I was fortunate not to lose any other fish.
 
I have seen a few come into the LFS that I work at. Awesome little guys. Eat most any food, follow your hand around the tank. Only issue is they get A LOT bigger than you might think. There’s one in right now that is 7 inches long. And took out a few blue green chromis before we moved him to a predator tank. Haven’t tried pairing them up. But chalk basslets which are pretty much a smaller version of them coexist nicely. Highly recommend them if you don’t have any small fish of shrimp because of that voracious eating habit that have.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new