Any experience with nicrew lights?

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I've been looking at this nicrew light for my tank so I can start growing some corals. Does anybody have any experience with this light? Was thinking of getting the controller for it so I can do ramp up and down and change intensity on light channels.

Screenshot_2022-05-14-01-59-31-098.jpg

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow look at that coral in your tank!! I'm about to be sold. I would love to have radions or primes but this is first tank and alot is all learning curve and it's a budget build so I didn't want to go expensive on lights since I'm only going to be growing softies to start out.

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow look at that coral in your tank!! I'm about to be sold. I would love to have radions or primes but this is first tank and alot is all learning curve and it's a budget build so I didn't want to go expensive on lights since I'm only going to be growing softies to start out.
They grow softies. They are not controllable like expensive lights so I use smart plugs for them. They dont ramp up or down but that isnt necessary for coral growth.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to consider the Smat Farm G5 lights or the Noopsyche K7 V3 lights too. About the same price as the Nicrew you posted, but they already include a controller and will ramp up/down.

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thw nicrew has a car ntroller sold separately it has 6 programming settings and ability the ramp up and down it's new it's just came out it's a remote from nicrew. But I will check out the other ligh you suggested. But yes this is my first saltwater tank so I'm still learning a lot like I said I don't need a very fancy light with all the whistles and bells as all I'm trying to accomplish for right now is to grow some softies and easy corals like that maybe some zoas but nothing in the SPs or LPS category yet

jpark457

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of the 150s over my tank, it’s growing a mix of corals including SPS fairly well in a 34 g tank. I only have it turned up to peak at I think 30% now and am gradually increasing. The controller works decently and does ramp up and down in intensity. I was worried they would be loud with the fans but have never heard them. My only real knock is that the ramp up and down turns to on from off a little abruptly? Like it goes by 1% increments and 1% from off visually is clearly it just turning on. I am likely going to get more of these whenever I move up to a bigger tank, I’m really happy with them especially at the price they are

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes from all the reviews I have seen and from a few.on here they seem like a reliable light source for a good affordable price where I would like radions or primes.but it's 250$ for just light not arm mount included and as I said I'm new to salt so I'm doing a budget build as I still have alot to learn and I will be doing pretty hardy beginner corals

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank....wondering what bracket are using to hold them, if you don't

HMS rail system brackets. Hydra 32 fit the Nicrews if I turned them sideways (need 2 each). I had to buy longer screws to fit at Lowes.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran Nicrew HyperReef 50 watt over half of my tank for a while -- basically same as the 100w you're considering but 1 puck instead of 2.

Personally, I'd buy the SmatFarm 95w mentioned in post #5 for the same price.
Never used it but it has built-in controllability and gets good reviews/feedback on here.

Nicrew worked fine for me other than controllability -- I used one channel of older Kessil Spectral Controller "A" and it worked pretty well with it but not perfectly. (New Nicrew controller looks similar to Kessil controller but I assume works better with the Nicrew LED ... but that's an extra purchase)

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool..are 150w or 100w? I brought from Amazon and they said they were the 150w. I have 3 lenses and 2 fans. Just noticing mine looks different than yours

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll "assume" that each puck is 50 watts so 3 pucks would be 150 watts.
*fairly certain of that but I've only owned the 50 watt so take that for what you will

Bhorsky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220412_172612.jpg

I have 4 150w over my 180g. They grow SPS fine. I have them turned down to 60% blues.
I have 3 150W over my 240g (11" over the water, ~23" water depth), What do you think I should have them on? I cannot for the life of me figure out the par and I haven't found a par meter either.

tank lights.jpg

Last edited:

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them on 60% blue, 20% white. I grow acros, wouldnt go higher in my tank. I do have 4 vs 3.

Bhorsky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them on 60% blue, 20% white. I grow acros, wouldnt go higher in my tank. I do have 4 vs 3.
I found this app, on this forum that shows par with some adjustments. I may try that but ty for your answer! I'm running the same but I don't think it's high enough

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NICREW ClassicLED Marine Aquarium Light, LED Light with Dual-Channel Timer for Saltwater Fish and Reef Tanks, 18 to 24-Inch, 20-Watt​

I have the above light, and I’m disappointed in it. Doesn’t seem the grow Corals, that are prolific and taking over my 65 gallon. It’s on an Oceanic 29, with a custom glass top. The Slightest flicker in power, and the time has to be reset. Also it is 20 Vdc, even though it has the same plug as my 12 Vdc lights. No where on the box or instruction, does it say what the voltage is.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 103 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 53 29.6%
Back