Any Experiences with Longhorn Cowfish?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mike550
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 13, 2019
Messages
2,269
Reaction score
2,328
Location
Chicago
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anyone has had experience with Longhorn Cowfish.

Thinking of adding to my reeftank. Heard it can nip at corals but wondering if he stays fed if this will be an issue.

Thanks in advance.
 
I'm 2 weeks in on my ownership of a LHCF.
He hasn't nipped at anything yet that he wasn't supposed to. He does have a voracious appetite though, I swear he'd never stop eating if given the opportunity. I've read just about every thread I can find on them, and rarely see issues with them nipping. Now puffers on the other hand...

I'm sure you've done your research, but of course make sure you're aware of his toxins. Must be kept with peaceful tank mates.
 
They get huge-- the only reason I dont have one.
 
What size tank is it going in? If this is going in your 120g, I would caution against it. I will try to get pictures to show how fast mine has grown. He may outgrow a 120g in under a year

Mine will nibble at the ends of coral, but it’s odd...... it doesn’t really “eat” the coral. It actually returns to the same one each time to do it too........ very odd. Either way, have seen no negative effects in the 5+ months or so I’ve had it
 
My only experience is watching one at my LFS going from a couple of inches to very large in a surprisingly short period of time.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new