Any fluid dynamics experts?

WhatCouldGoWrong71

TheDryReef
View Badges
Joined
May 19, 2023
Messages
3,758
Reaction score
2,777
Location
Memphis
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
(LOL on title)

Here is my situation. I want to add a second closed loop to a peninsula reef tank (96x36x25). The goal is to use this pump which is 1.5" by 1.5". I can feed the pump by way of two 1" holes in the display. I play to feed, from above, the four corners of the tank. The total head would be about 6 feet.

The pump I want to use for this loop is a external AC, Hammerhead Hybrid. It's rated up to 6K GPH and has 23 ft of head. I estimate I will have about 6 feet of head. Using their flowcharts I should be around 5.2K GPH. Here is the problem. The inlet should always be equal to or greater than the outlet. This pump is 1.5x1.5. If I go this route, I can only feed it by the use of two 1" holes that are in the display. These two 1" holes should feed a 1.5" pump inlet (or will it?) but, there can be no T's that would increase the pipe size within 3-4 feet of the pump. Meaning, have two 1" pipes say go into a 1.5" pipe (per their instructions) In my scenario I would have about 12" distance between the T that would increase pipe size and the pump. Perhaps someone has been in this scenario before. Here are some questions?

Questions:
1) Will these two 1" holes be adequate to feed the pump?
2) Is it OK to feed the pump from a T?
3) Should I use 3/4" or 1" outlets at each of the 4 corners?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Assuming that the pump is running at 4K, each return at the 4 corners will have to run 1000gph, or a little more than 16.6 gallons per minute.

For 1inch drain pipe, the maximum amount of water will be about 16 gpm, so you would need 4 x 1inch drain pipes to get the water back into the pump, and you have 2 that will join into a 1.5” pipe and that scenario will not work for your situation, as i understand it.

Ref : https://resources.hy-techroof.com/blog/how-much-water-can-flow-through-a-pipe?hs_amp=true

The pump is also going to generate a lot of heat and create a lot of turbulence inside the pump if it was fed enough water to run it at 5K/hour. I think it would be like a hot tub current flow that would not allow fish to escape the current and they would die from exhaustion in a few hours.

The suction into the drains would likely be plugged by any loose objects in the tank including the rock structure?

Not to worry, a smaller pump can be found that will still move adequate water through the tank to keep the system happy.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new