Any idea what this is?

PolypPocket

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 25, 2026
Messages
523
Reaction score
644
Location
Minnesota
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a bacteria? Sponge? I know it’s probably not algae but I didn’t know which category to post this in.

This is a new tank going through a tough cycle (had a big die off event). Ammonia is finally starting to come down as of today but still high at 4.0 ppm (was at 8.0). I’m only adding this info in case it’s relevant.

It’s mostly contained to this rock but there are a few other tiny spots I noticed on a couple of other rocks.

No fish no corals, only what came on the live rock (random tunicates, polyps, etc).


20260708_235601_EBCFD316-E5EE-4D7E-B155-DAE7EB9EABEA.png


20260708_235601_F0B5B3E5-6474-4141-8779-40498769D686.png


20260708_235601_D98A0EB6-7691-43B1-9FD9-B256EAABED44.png
 
Agree, appears to be some type of Leuconoid sponge. When we typically think of sponges we envision the barrel or vase like sponge. The leuconoid sponges are NOT this type of sponge. They appear to be an amorphous tangled mass when in fact they do have the typical sponge morphology on close examination.
 
Agree, appears to be some type of Leuconoid sponge. When we typically think of sponges we envision the barrel or vase like sponge. The leuconoid sponges are NOT this type of sponge. They appear to be an amorphous tangled mass when in fact they do have the typical sponge morphology on close examination.
Thank you! I’m glad it’s not something “bad”.
 
Sponge, but a really neat looking sponge
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW LONG HAVE YOU PERSONALLY KEPT YOUR LONGEST-SERVING CURRENT RESIDENT?

  • Under 1 year

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to under 3 years

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 to under 5 years

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 5 to under 10 years

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 10 to under 20 years

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 20+ years

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I’ve lost track

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new