Any idea what this is?

Jason P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, hope you all had a wonderful Xmas and got lots of goodies for your tanks. I have noticed this white supstance on my live Rock for a couple days. Just wanted to get some insight and see what everyone thought it was and what to do with it. Thank you very much.

Fluval EVO 13.5
InTank chamber 1 & 2 baskets
Filter floss chamber 1 space 1
ChemiBlue Elite chamber 1 space 2
Chamber 2 fluval biospheres
Chamber 2 fluval active carbon
Stock pump
20171226_140629.jpg

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like dead coralline algae. Has it been growing like that or you just noticed it? If it's soft to the touch it could be sponge.

OP
OP
Jason P

Jason P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed it this weekend. When I get home I'll see if it is soft to the touch. I have had large SW tanks in the past, this is my first with doing nano and having live Rock so wasn't to sure whether it was a good thing or not.lol

OP
OP
Jason P

Jason P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I checked out the mysterious item. It is solid like someone painted it on the rock. It doesn't come off at all, don't move.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, could this be caused by low calcium levels in the tank?

Coraline algae can be a little picky, so many different species some less adjustable to change than others. Many people fw dip live rock, this will kill coralline algae too.

Being a new tank i wouldnt worry much.

But with corals would recommend ca and alk tests and a hanna checker for phosphate. Phosphate in high enough concentrations will inhibit calcification. Again this really is probably just either a result from going from stock tank to your tank, or result of dipping.

OP
OP
Jason P

Jason P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coraline algae can be a little picky, so many different species some less adjustable to change than others. Many people fw dip live rock, this will kill coralline algae too.

Being a new tank i wouldnt worry much.

But with corals would recommend ca and alk tests and a hanna checker for phosphate. Phosphate in high enough concentrations will inhibit calcification. Again this really is probably just either a result from going from stock tank to your tank, or result of dipping.

Thank you very much. I'm looking into the Hanna checkers now.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much. I'm looking into the Hanna checkers now.

Your welcome, dont need the whole line if its budget buster. I use a variety of test kits most salifert. Phoasphate hanna checker is the only one ive used that tests low enough to be useful. But most even api tests can be useful for things like calcium where only need to make sure your in the range of nsw.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back