Upgrading from Fluval Evo 13.5 to a 75 gallon tank? Recommendations requested

becklin_s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have the Fluval Evo 13.5 with two clownfish and a goby/pistol shrimp pair. It has been a breeze with this tank and easy maintanence. I am starting to get to the point where I want to have a larger aquarium setup. I want to run a HOB filter instead of a sump or overflow for financial and space reasons.

I am interested in the following and wanted to know people's thoughts:

• 75 gallon tank (saltwater approved, but no drilling/overflow)
  • Using the AquaClear 110 with the InTank Media Basket (biomedia and filter floss have been my go to)
  • Live sand (around 120lbs) and dry rock (around 80lbs)
  • Two wavemakers? (I currently have the Jebao SLW-10 [1065 GPH], but it seems a little much in my Fluval Evo 13.5)
  • A protein skimmer? I haven't needed one in my small Evo, yet.

Is this a realistic setup? Which wavemakers do you recommend? How many? Any other recommendation?

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaClear 110 with the media basket is pretty good but I am unsure if the filtration is adequate for whatever bioload you plan to add in the future, in which having a refugium might be very beneficial. If your tank's bottom isn't tempered glass, you could DIY an overflow and DIY a 20 gal sump for decently cheap (maybe 200 bucks?). I did this for my tank and ended up returning all the tools I used on it, so I cut some corners (lol) but it was okay in the end. Honestly though you should be fine I think.

Two wavemakers would be good if your tank is long, as you can eliminate dead spots. If you want to get some financially cheap wavemakers, some on Amazon are adjustable. I use this one for my tank. This one can't be angled though.

Having a skimmer is cool and helps in nutrient export and oxygen exchange, but it's okay to not have one. It would just mean you would have to keep up with your water change schedule. If you wanted to test it out for maybe a month, you could buy one off of Amazon and just try it out until the return period almost ends.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

becklin_s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaClear 110 with the media basket is pretty good but I am unsure if the filtration is adequate for whatever bioload you plan to add in the future, in which having a refugium might be very beneficial. If your tank's bottom isn't tempered glass, you could DIY an overflow and DIY a 20 gal sump for decently cheap (maybe 200 bucks?). I did this for my tank and ended up returning all the tools I used on it, so I cut some corners (lol) but it was okay in the end. Honestly though you should be fine I think.

Two wavemakers would be good if your tank is long, as you can eliminate dead spots. If you want to get some financially cheap wavemakers, some on Amazon are adjustable. I use this one for my tank. This one can't be angled though.

Having a skimmer is cool and helps in nutrient export and oxygen exchange, but it's okay to not have one. It would just mean you would have to keep up with your water change schedule. If you wanted to test it out for maybe a month, you could buy one off of Amazon and just try it out until the return period almost ends.

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like we have similar return policies. Pretty sure I'm carrying a lot of Amazon's business (& Whole Foods return) in my area, LOL.

I'm planning on <8 fish, but would like to add some more anemones and corals. I ended up getting the AquaClear 100 with the media basket. The tank I bought also came with a quite large filter, so I might convert it into a refugium. That's a great idea.

I haven't needed a skimmer on the Fluval, but it's so small and runs pretty stable for me (I think I've just been lucky there). I might try one once I add the bioload and see if I notice any help.

Time to cycle again :)

Thanks, again, for your thoughts!

Upvote 0

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! Sounds like we have similar return policies. Pretty sure I'm carrying a lot of Amazon's business (& Whole Foods return) in my area, LOL.

I'm planning on <8 fish, but would like to add some more anemones and corals. I ended up getting the AquaClear 100 with the media basket. The tank I bought also came with a quite large filter, so I might convert it into a refugium. That's a great idea.

I haven't needed a skimmer on the Fluval, but it's so small and runs pretty stable for me (I think I've just been lucky there). I might try one once I add the bioload and see if I notice any help.

Time to cycle again :)

Thanks, again, for your thoughts!
Yeah, if you end up adding corals and anemones make sure the anemones are settled in their spot before adding the corals. You don’t want them going for a walk and then leaving a path of destruction

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 81 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back