Chambers empty

Jamilio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the fluvial Evo 13.5

Recently upgraded my pump to the sicce as most of you recommended. Issue I am having now is odd and I can't figure this out. If I shut off power, all 3 chambers fill equally. If I turn on the pump, chamber 1 is full of water, chamber 2 is half full, and chamber 3 is just over the pump. While the initial thought is to add water, the actual tank is full to the top and actually spilling over.

Chamber 1: floss, charcoal bag, small media rocks

Chamber 2: large media rocks

Chamber 3: pump and UV bulb

Any thoughts?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The increased power of the pump is causing the pump chamber to have a lower water level. Can turn the flow rate down (though that is the reason for upgrading the pump), or try to increase the rate of return (clean mechanical filtration). Replacing the giant foam block that comes with the Evos may help. Could use a coarser type of foam also could use an InTank media basket. . . may or may not help.

Either way as long as the pump isn't running dry and you have an ATO you should be fine. Make sure the ATO is in the pump chamber.

OP
OP
Jamilio

Jamilio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The increased power of the pump is causing the pump chamber to have a lower water level. Can turn the flow rate down (though that is the reason for upgrading the pump), or try to increase the rate of return (clean mechanical filtration). Replacing the giant foam block that comes with the Evos may help. Could use a coarser type of foam also could use an InTank media basket. . . may or may not help.

Either way as long as the pump isn't running dry and you have an ATO you should be fine. Make sure the ATO is in the pump chamber.
I'm using filter floss instead of the foam block.

I don't have an ATO. Can you recommend one for this tank? How do you guys connect the water to the ATO? Just have a bucket of water sitting next to the tank with a line in it?

With the ATO, problem is, the tank is completely full to the point it's spilling over sometimes and we have to keep paper towels around the base. It's the 3 chambers that remain half empty. Not sure what to do? Has anyone resolved this?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm using filter floss instead of the foam block.

I don't have an ATO. Can you recommend one for this tank? How do you guys connect the water to the ATO? Just have a bucket of water sitting next to the tank with a line in it?

With the ATO, problem is, the tank is completely full to the point it's spilling over sometimes and we have to keep paper towels around the base. It's the 3 chambers that remain half empty. Not sure what to do? Has anyone resolved this?
Pump chamber is always going to be the lowest and will also be the first effected by evaporation. So when the ATO kicks on it is refilling chamber 3 so the pump does not run dry.

When did you last clean or replace the floss? Just as a test completely remove the floss for a minute and see how the water level in the chambers react.

OP
OP
Jamilio

Jamilio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG-20231102-WA0018.jpg
IMG-20231102-WA0020.jpg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah my guess is your chambers are a bit clogged up reducing the return flow. Also, think you are going WAY overkill on bio media. You probably don't need all that rubble clogging up the system (just look at the tiny media bag Fluval sends with the tank.

Seeing what you have going on I would probably go back to the foam block that came with the tank. Take some of your media/rumble and put it in a small media bag and put it in the foam block where the stock media goes. Move your UV and heater into chamber 1. ATO in chamber 3. get ride of the stream power head.

OP
OP
Jamilio

Jamilio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pump chamber is always going to be the lowest and will also be the first effected by evaporation. So when the ATO kicks on it is refilling chamber 3 so the pump does not run dry.

When did you last clean or replace the floss? Just as a test completely remove the floss for a minute and see how the water level in the chambers react.
I checked all holes between chambers to make sure it's clear. Replace the floss weekend and yes I did remove the floss.to see if it would help but unfortunately it didn't.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I checked all holes between chambers to make sure it's clear. Replace the floss weekend and yes I did remove the floss.to see if it would help but unfortunately it didn't.
anyway you can take ALL the stuff out of the back chamber (store in bucket of tank water) and see if all that media is slowing the flow?

OP
OP
Jamilio

Jamilio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my guess is your chambers are a bit clogged up reducing the return flow. Also, think you are going WAY overkill on bio media. You probably don't need all that rubble clogging up the system (just look at the tiny media bag Fluval sends with the tank.

Seeing what you have going on I would probably go back to the foam block that came with the tank. Take some of your media/rumble and put it in a small media bag and put it in the foam block where the stock media goes. Move your UV and heater into chamber 1. ATO in chamber 3. get ride of the stream power head.

I'll get rid of most of the rocks in chamber 2. Which ATO do you recommend and what is the water source? Do you just keep a bucket of water close to the tank?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll get rid of most of the rocks in chamber 2. Which ATO do you recommend and what is the water source? Do you just keep a bucket of water close to the tank?
I think Tunze makes a highly rated nano ATO. I use gravity ATO and an old float valve style one. . . they work but aren't for every situation.

On my main display I use a 2.5gallon bucked it my stand. On my nano I use a Tupperware on a shelf. . .

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If adjusting your media/filtration changes the water levels you may not "need" an ATO, manual top off could work. But if your water level remains just above the pump you run the risk of running it dry.

Sesty22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same problem with mine, I got rid of all that bio ball stuff and rubble, I just run filter floss and a bag of carbon every once in a while, other than that its just free flowing water, the water level is pretty level in all 3 chambers always. Too much media for such a small AIO, those back chambers need to be cleared IMO.

TranceLvr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Tunze, and I highly recommend it. Also, to help avoid spilling in case of reduced flow in the back, I cut notches at the top of the walls that separate the chambers. That way, if there is a blockage, the water can still spill over into the return pump chamber.
IMG_1201.png

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 48 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back