BiocCube 32 overflowing

rpkneumann

Texas Reefer since 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main main tank overflows
The Biocube has been operating great for two years with safe water levels.
My setup
Chamber 1 heater
Chamber 2 Intank media basket plus a sack of Matrix stones for additional bio filtration.
Chamber 3 pump

Lately the main tank started overflowing. .
I loose about 2 gallons of water in a few days.
Whenever I notice overflow I see chamber 2 and 3 with much lower water levels (nearly at pump intake level) but chamber 1 is full and overflowing into the media stack as usual.

Seems like flow out of chamber 1 is to slow?

Any suggestions?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would take a razor and clean the slots that pull from your DT. Mine grows Coraline like crazy.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main main tank overflows
The Biocube has been operating great for two years with safe water levels.
My setup
Chamber 1 heater
Chamber 2 Intank media basket plus a sack of Matrix stones for additional bio filtration.
Chamber 3 pump

Lately the main tank started overflowing. .
I loose about 2 gallons of water in a few days.
Whenever I notice overflow I see chamber 2 and 3 with much lower water levels (nearly at pump intake level) but chamber 1 is full and overflowing into the media stack as usual.

Seems like flow out of chamber 1 is to slow?

Any suggestions?
Do you have any filters or sponges between chamber 2 and 3? When was the last time you cleaned out the chambers? Sometimes my sponges or media get so gunked up with nastiness that the water doesnt flow fast enough into the return (chamber 3). I try to siphon out the chamber gunk during a water change every few months and clean the other stuff during that time as well.

OP
OP
rpkneumann

rpkneumann

Texas Reefer since 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You lose 2 gallons where? The floor or evap etc? Sounds like you might need to clean the teeth on the weir or adjust your return pump.
I'm daily scraping both of the return grids. Have not changed the pump and i can notadjust pump flow. seems like all the sudden not enough water getting out of chamber 1 being the root cause. But i can't see an obstacle anywhere.

OP
OP
rpkneumann

rpkneumann

Texas Reefer since 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any filters or sponges between chamber 2 and 3? When was the last time you cleaned out the chambers? Sometimes my sponges or media get so gunked up with nastiness that the water doesnt flow fast enough into the return (chamber 3). I try to siphon out the chamber gunk during a water change every few months and clean the other stuff during that time as well.
Chamber 2 and 3 run dry faster than chamber 1 can deliver. I will take all the filter stuff out and see what happens then.

squidzilla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all other factors remaining equal, something is impeding the return to the pump. If you still have the coarse sponge that sits at the opening between chambers 2 and 3, I'd get rid of it. Do you have the little black 3D-printed ramp that directs water from chamber 1 into the top of the in tank media basket? If it gets jostled out of position, it'll take more water to spill over. Make sure it's snugly fitted against the lip of the chamber wall.

You mentioned that your pump isn't adjustable. If you're still running the stock AC pump, I'd urge you to get a DC pump. Whisper-quiet, adjustable, and much more user-friendly.

1stMarineTankDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats exactly the problem. the first chamber being the first in line for the water return obly has the heater in it.
sorry, i've not seen the remainder of the thread so you may have solved this. Your next step is to investigate what is blocking the water from draining into the next chamber. That is your problem.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, how full are your chambers when the flow isnt messed up? I was thinking about this thread earlier this morning. :thinking-face: Even in the past when mine had restricted flow to gunk buildup, it never "overflowed" my tank. You may be also running you tank chambers with too much water to begin with.

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is being restricted, take everything out and see if it is still overflows.
I would take everything out, give everything a good cleaning and give it a try.
Something is restricting your water flow and causing your issues.

OP
OP
rpkneumann

rpkneumann

Texas Reefer since 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took out all filter media and problem went away immediately.
Everything just flows and levels fine.
Found gunk and snails in filter between chamber 2 and 3. Also in intake stack on my matrix a lot of string algae collected.
Culprit seems to be me. I went from 2 weekly water changes to 4+ weeks. More gunk in the system.
Thanks for all the good replies.

OP
OP
rpkneumann

rpkneumann

Texas Reefer since 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took out all filter media and problem went away immediately.
Everything just flows and levels fine.
Found gunk and snails in filter between chamber 2 and 3. Also in intake stack on my matrix a lot of string algae collected.
Culprit seems to be me. I went from 2 weekly water changes to 4+ weeks. More gunk in the system.
Thanks for all the good replies.
UPDATE. TANK CRASHED

Everything except some crabs and my super sturdy pistol shrimp died. The softies lost all life and became limp over night. Foam in the back tank chamber, values completely out of control and water had a real foul smell.

I believe this was my fault.
Besides water overflowing I also had a ton of string and red algae forming.
The constant refilling with RODI water let through a massive drop in salinity.
I was out for a week and and had added a water level controller. When I came back disaster had happened.
My floor was a swimming pool.
The pump was sucking air and my additional makeshift rodi water container was empty. About 5 gallon bucket..

The tank had a wild life. It went through a super hard freeze in February a few years ago when the Texas electricity crash happened. All survived thanks to blankets and a nearby fireplace.
This time my impatience did them in.

Looking ahead.

What do I need to do to restart?

First thing I did was I cleaned out the tank completely.
Rocks are slimy and have string algae growing all over them, sand turned dark.
Should I completely start from all new materials or should I try to safe at least my rocks and wash the sand.

stalkem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert, but what I've read in other posts, you'd want to put your rock in salt water in another container (such as brute) to keep wet and scrub algae and whatnot off it, but maintaining beneficial bacteria (assuming there is some still). Mixed reviews on reusing sand... if reusing, make sure to thoroughly rinse it. Might be better to start fresh if it's that black.

When I got my new to me biocube, manually cleaned it with a vinegar solution, then let it run with a vinegar solution (I think I did 1:3, vinegar to water) for a few days... then scrubbed whatever residue was left in there, drained it all and gave it a good rinse before setting up.

(edit) And good luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back