Any ideas on what caused this?

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunday all 3 of my blasto coral looked great. I target fed sunday so I distinctly remember seeing them open and healthy. Then lastnight I noticed this...
All surrounding coral look fine. There's a lepto about 2 inches away that's fine. Did something eat it or does this look more like coral warfare?
Sorry for the super blue pics. The lights were shutting down soon. I posted this in the LPS forum, and Reef Discussion forum, but haven't gotten a response so far.

20200217_202347.jpg 20200217_202407.jpg

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunday all 3 of my blasto coral looked great. I target fed sunday so I distinctly remember seeing them open and healthy. Then lastnight I noticed this...
All surrounding coral look fine. There's a lepto about 2 inches away that's fine. Did something eat it or does this look more like coral warfare?
Sorry for the super blue pics. The lights were shutting down soon. I posted this in the LPS forum, and Reef Discussion forum, but haven't gotten a response so far.

20200217_202347.jpg 20200217_202407.jpg

Can you explain what's going on in the picture? It just looks like the blasto is pooping tbh. Are you concerned by the blastos mouth being open?

OP
OP
D

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to see with the lights being so blue but half of the flesh is missing on the blasto. Those little white "fins" at the top of the coral are its skeleton. It's like the flesh either melted away or was torn off. I can try to get better pics when I get home. I just didn't want to blasto the tank with white light that close to "lights out".]

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to see with the lights being so blue but half of the flesh is missing on the blasto. Those little white "fins" at the top of the coral are its skeleton. It's like the flesh either melted away or was torn off. I can try to get better pics when I get home. I just didn't want to blasto the tank with white light that close to "lights out".]
I have take pictures through amber colored sunglasses when I need to filter blue out for a picture. Or if your phone supports it... taking photos inside the tank also seems to come out better.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have take pictures through amber colored sunglasses when I need to filter blue out for a picture. Or if your phone supports it... taking photos inside the tank also seems to come out better.
Just get one of those cheap lense kits from amazon. They are like $10 and work well, helpful for situations like this.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into the water parameters.I doubt the lepto inflicted any damage.If you just target fed these I would be concerned about hermits or other inverts tearing into them.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the snail hit it and make it angry?

OP
OP
D

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it was a snail. The tissue was missing and the bare skeleton was showing. The only culprit I could think of was a hermit that was given to me a while back. I'm not sure if its reef safe but this is the 1st time a coral has been damaged in this way. So I stuck that hermit in the fuge and now it has it's own place to live out its seemingly very long life... I've had it about 2 years lol. Also, the blasto has made a full recovery and is putting on new heads

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back