20240215_135506.jpg

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking Goniastrea but not sure...

20240215_135506.jpg
Interesting for sure and it looks like it’s only going to get better with size and hopefully streaks of the green pigment. This is a “tweener” for sure. I was thinking Platygyra at first glance. Check out Goniastrea australensis & favulus vs a Platygyra lamellina. It could take a bit more grow out to really determine. It should be a good eater though. Have you tried feeding it?

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paragoniastrea australensis. Not a Goniastrea; true Goniastrea are usually pale and cerioid/plocoid, not meandroid. Most of the photos of Goniastrea favulus on CotW are misidentified.

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paragoniastrea australensis. Not a Goniastrea; true Goniastrea are usually pale and cerioid/plocoid, not meandroid. Most of the photos of Goniastrea favulus on CotW are misidentified.
Can you possibly make a list of Genus and Species changes of the taxonomy that might be helpful to establish clearly? Or could you include a link to the information resource you refer to so that people can get accustomed to checking there specifically? People are going to keep saying Scolymia and Acan Lord forever. Even Live Aquaria lists it like this as Scolymia with Homophyllia in fine print.
0A44AC4F-EE0F-4459-B36F-E0ADCF499530.jpeg

Although I didn’t refer to COtW it happens that the information is included there as well: “Taxonomic Note: A species complex. Included in a new genus Paragoniastrea Huang, Benzoni and Budd, 2014 alongside both Favites russelli, and Goniastrea deformi” The World Register of Marine Species has a terrible layout and it’s hard to find
It’s probably worth it to set up thread with certain classifications hobbyists normally don’t encounter. Even starting at how Marine life begins to be divided into corals, anemones and non-photosynthetics, etc.
I don’t know how long it was before I looked into the larger groups and divisions such as, “Actiniaria (sea anemones in the strict sense), Antipatharia (black corals), Ceriantharia (tube anemones), Corallimorpharia (sea anemones in the loose sense), Ptychodactiaria (sea anemones in the loose sense), Scleractinia (hard or stony corals), and Zoanthidea (sea anemones in the loose sense).”[/ATTACH]

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the meandroid form is why I suggested Platygyra lamellina as well.
Navigating iNaturalist is not going well for me. If you put in a genus it gives a bunch of listings, but it’s very hard to be able to compare photos if they are available. I’m sure I need to learn how to use it better, but comparisons of one coral versus another are hard to do.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you possibly make a list of Genus and Species changes of the taxonomy that might be helpful to establish clearly? Or could you include a link to the information resource you refer to so that people can get accustomed to checking there specifically? People are going to keep saying Scolymia and Acan Lord forever. Even Live Aquaria lists it like this as Scolymia with Homophyllia in fine print.
0A44AC4F-EE0F-4459-B36F-E0ADCF499530.jpeg

Although I didn’t refer to COtW it happens that the information is included there as well: “Taxonomic Note: A species complex. Included in a new genus Paragoniastrea Huang, Benzoni and Budd, 2014 alongside both Favites russelli, and Goniastrea deformi” The World Register of Marine Species has a terrible layout and it’s hard to find
It’s probably worth it to set up thread with certain classifications hobbyists normally don’t encounter. Even starting at how Marine life begins to be divided into corals, anemones and non-photosynthetics, etc.
I don’t know how long it was before I looked into the larger groups and divisions such as, “Actiniaria (sea anemones in the strict sense), Antipatharia (black corals), Ceriantharia (tube anemones), Corallimorpharia (sea anemones in the loose sense), Ptychodactiaria (sea anemones in the loose sense), Scleractinia (hard or stony corals), and Zoanthidea (sea anemones in the loose sense).”[/ATTACH]
Sadly, WoRMS is your best bet for looking for previous species/genus combinations. Usually, Reef Builders will report on taxonomy changes or new species, but sometimes they get things wrong. I did have a thread on coral misidentifications/species changes a long time ago; I would need to find it again.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.1%
Back