Any idvice..Not too sure if these are gonna make it. Candy cane coral.

Walt607

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend brought these too me they have a hard crustation surrounding the green.. I haven't seen the tenticles in month. Maybe. Idk. Not sure. Any advice.. What it could be.

4e55538859804521f026810c00ad38f2.jpg

3a7bac611cce765602712155681aeca7.jpg

reefbeard

Bearded Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the exposed skeleton and tissue necrosis of a trumpet coral. Doesn't look good for that guy.

OP
OP
Walt607

Walt607

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Yes. They did .. hahaha. Well not quit that nice. But better than now.

reefbeard

Bearded Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your water quality? No3, PO4, Calc, Alk, Temp, Salinity. Any large spikes or swings in water parameters?

reefbeard

Bearded Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have brought back corals that have slow tissue necrosis just by providing them with high water quality and stable parameters. That poor guy looks like he's on his last leg.

OP
OP
Walt607

Walt607

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. Everything is prettyuch on point . Is there a chance that it will recover

OP
OP
Walt607

Walt607

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks brother. He has been ha.gin on like this for month. I just hope it's not too far gone. When we first pit him in there. My water wasn't all that great. My pH was sky high and my calcium and mag we're way low. . Now it's spot on. Pretty close anyways

CoralFreak_350

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience when I had gotten a rescue piece of coral it helps to put it in a very low area of light. Not complete darkness but in a spot where the lighting is cut way down. They usually make a slow recovery but it does take a while. Also have you seen any feeder tentacles when you feed the rest of the tank? have you tried a light feed to it?

CoralFreak_350

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually had a recent experience with a candy cane looking bad. Not this bad but I really thought it would have been a goner. It fell of its perch and got tangled up with a 10 head frogspawn. Lets just say it was WWII between them and the candy cane lost. It receded pretty bad but eight months later one head made a full recovery and the other head that got the worst of it is just starting to come back. This took almost 9 months. I moved it to almost complete darkness with very little flow and everytime I would feed the tank I would pass a little bit its way. One day about three months in I saw that two little feeders were out on one head. I instantly ran downstairs and mixed up a bit of food and the rest is history. Now it has five heads on it and is a pig. Eats two to three times more than my acans. Also could try a coral dip like CoralRX to slow the necrosis which has worked once for me in the past. Its definitely risky though. It could improve your situation but could put it over the edge and have no hope of getting it back.

If it goes let me know and I will give you a frag of my candy canes when they are ready(Very Close)
I wish you the very best and just give it time. I basically counted my candy canes out and they came back but very slowly. If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me. Thanks
-Ben

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%
Back